ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

French Long Stay Visa and Retirement Visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Locked
Glowurmgirl
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:29 am
South Africa

Carte de Sejour ' First time application

Post by Glowurmgirl » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:12 am

Hi everyone, I am a South African passport holder looking to live and work remotely in France, I know that I need to apply for a French long term (D) visa, a Carte de Sejour and to do so I need to show earnings and a French address.
Has anyone else applied for the same?
Does anyone have any tips and tricks they can pass on?
Thanks in advance

User avatar
ALKB
Respected Guru
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:32 am
Location: Berlin
Germany

Re: Carte de Sejour ' First time application

Post by ALKB » Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:59 pm

Glowurmgirl wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:12 am
Hi everyone, I am a South African passport holder looking to live and work remotely in France, I know that I need to apply for a French long term (D) visa, a Carte de Sejour and to do so I need to show earnings and a French address.
Has anyone else applied for the same?
Does anyone have any tips and tricks they can pass on?
Thanks in advance
Are you applying for the long term visitor visa?

I don't think you can work remotely, it's more for retirees with a pension or those with passive income from investment.

In any case you will also need private health cover for the visa application.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Glowurmgirl
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:29 am
South Africa

French Long Stay Visa and Retirement Visa

Post by Glowurmgirl » Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:12 pm

Hi everyone, I am a South African passport holder looking to join my sister (who lives in Switzerland) in Europe by getting a Long Stay Visa to France along with my mother (who will get a retirement Visa). I have an address in France and will be looking to move from that address to a Swiss/French border town to be closer to her and her family.

I will be working remotely for a Swiss company so I won't be looking for employment in France.

Has anyone applied for these visa's before? Can you recommend any documents to include in the applications? Or any advice you found useful?

TIA,
Shirley

User avatar
ALKB
Respected Guru
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:32 am
Location: Berlin
Germany

Re: French Long Stay Visa and Retirement Visa

Post by ALKB » Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:28 pm

Glowurmgirl wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 4:12 pm
Hi everyone, I am a South African passport holder looking to join my sister (who lives in Switzerland) in Europe by getting a Long Stay Visa to France along with my mother (who will get a retirement Visa). I have an address in France and will be looking to move from that address to a Swiss/French border town to be closer to her and her family.

I will be working remotely for a Swiss company so I won't be looking for employment in France.

Has anyone applied for these visa's before? Can you recommend any documents to include in the applications? Or any advice you found useful?

TIA,
Shirley
If you are doing work while physically in France, you need work permission in France, no matter where your employer is located. You'll also be liable for tax and cotisations (social contributions) in France.

You might want to look into the 'frontalier' agreements between Switzerland and France, there might be something for you. When I lived in Geneva, a lot of third country nationals working for the WHO, the Red Cross, etc. were able to live in France. Not sure whether that's generally possible or an international organization thing.

In any case, you don't want to go to France on a visa that does not allow work and then get caught working for a foreign company. That could really hurt your ability to ever get a visa in Europe again.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Glowurmgirl
Newly Registered
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:29 am
South Africa

Re: French Long Stay Visa and Retirement Visa

Post by Glowurmgirl » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:50 pm

Thanks AKLB, I really appreciate the advice.

So do you think once I get the French long stay visa, I should start looking at a 'frontelier' visa through Switzerland?

GoldenFlyGirl
Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:28 pm
Mood:
South Africa

Re: French Long Stay Visa and Retirement Visa

Post by GoldenFlyGirl » Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:25 am

Hello, I have a simillar question but I work for a South African company that has given me permission to work remotely... Has anyone gotten a VLS-TS visa through the French government and are there any tips you can give?

TIA

User avatar
ALKB
Respected Guru
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:32 am
Location: Berlin
Germany

Re: French Long Stay Visa and Retirement Visa

Post by ALKB » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:05 pm

Glowurmgirl wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:50 pm
Thanks AKLB, I really appreciate the advice.

So do you think once I get the French long stay visa, I should start looking at a 'frontelier' visa through Switzerland?
It might be better for you to be sponsored by your Swiss employer for a Swiss working visa. Since my situation as a European was different when I was living in Geneva, I am not sure what the exact requirements both from the Swiss and the French side - residency, tax, social contributions, health care! - are regarding third country nationals.

Is your Swiss employer helping at all? Their HR department should be up to date with legislation.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

User avatar
ALKB
Respected Guru
Posts: 823
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:32 am
Location: Berlin
Germany

Re: French Long Stay Visa and Retirement Visa

Post by ALKB » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:27 pm

Glowurmgirl wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:50 pm
Thanks AKLB, I really appreciate the advice.

So do you think once I get the French long stay visa, I should start looking at a 'frontelier' visa through Switzerland?
Okay, after a few google searches, I found this:

To work in Switzerland, you need a permit B or L - nothing has changed there, since I left, it seems.

To live in France and work in Switzerland, you'd need a Swiss permit G (frontalier) and a French residence permit. BUT. Apparently, a permit G is hardly ever issued to non-EEA nationals and the ease with which employees of the United Nations, the Red Cross, the WHO, etc. work in Geneva and live in paces like Ferney Voltaire has to do with their Diplomatic or similar status.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

Locked
cron