ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

German Residence Permit for non-EU researchers

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

nickt
Newly Registered

German Residence Permit for non-EU researchers

Post by nickt » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:52 pm

Hi -- I'm looking for advice on German residence permits for research purposes (§ 20 Residence Act).

I have four non-EU researchers on a Marie Curie project based in the UK, who will be seconded to a Germany industrial partner for 18 months later this year. However, they will continue to be employed and paid from the UK for the duration. Their nationalities are US, Brazil, India and Uganda and they are all on Tier 2 visas in the UK.

We know that they should be looking for residence permits for research under § 20, but beyond that I'm getting stuck.

- Some information about these permits indicates that they require proof of residency in Germany. Can a permit be acquired before moving?
- They are all paid up for UK health care, so will they be able to get an S1 form (on the basis that they are a "posted worker") and will this meet the health insurance requirement (pre-Brexit at least)?
- How do we actually kick off the process? We've been pointed towards the consulate in Edinburgh but their forms all seem geared towards short term visits.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: German Residence Permit for non-EU researchers

Post by ALKB » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:57 pm

nickt wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:52 pm
Hi -- I'm looking for advice on German residence permits for research purposes (§ 20 Residence Act).

I have four non-EU researchers on a Marie Curie project based in the UK, who will be seconded to a Germany industrial partner for 18 months later this year. However, they will continue to be employed and paid from the UK for the duration. Their nationalities are US, Brazil, India and Uganda and they are all on Tier 2 visas in the UK.

We know that they should be looking for residence permits for research under § 20, but beyond that I'm getting stuck.

- Some information about these permits indicates that they require proof of residency in Germany. Can a permit be acquired before moving?
- They are all paid up for UK health care, so will they be able to get an S1 form (on the basis that they are a "posted worker") and will this meet the health insurance requirement (pre-Brexit at least)?
- How do we actually kick off the process? We've been pointed towards the consulate in Edinburgh but their forms all seem geared towards short term visits.
There are two different processes. All but the US national (personally, I would still not recommend to arrive as a tourist) will need a visa to enter Germany, and not just a Schengen visa but a visa that enables them to apply for a long term permit once in country. Those visas will have to be applied for at the Consulate.

Scroll down, there are two well-hidden forms to download:

https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/02/visa/8-study-research

https://uk.diplo.de/uk-en/02/visa/8-stu ... h/postgrad

Also a good idea to give them a call:

" German Residence Permit Information

For enquiries regarding residence permits you can contact the visa section of the Embassy in London by phone: 0207 824 1466 (Monday - Thursday 1.30pm-3.30pm), or e-mail us.

The General Consulate in Edinburgh can be contacted on: 0131 337 23 23 (Monday - Thursday 2.00pm-3.00pm).

Please note that we will not be able to give applicants information on the status of their application or if it will be successful
"

Once they have the visas - 90 day validity, usually - they can travel to Germany, register their residence, sort out additional health insurance if needed and apply for the actual residence permit at the local immigration department (Ausländerbehörde, make appointments online well in advance!).

If they are still being paid in the UK, they may be okay with an EHIC card (ask the consulate what they require) until the end of any transitional period. After that, nobody knows at this point.
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.