ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long to get French citizenship/ EU passport through ancestry

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

patrickwill
Newly Registered
United States of America

How long to get French citizenship/ EU passport through ancestry

Post by patrickwill » Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:44 am

Wondering how long I should expect to get French citizenship / EU passport through ancestry. Thank you in advance.

patrickwill
Newly Registered
United States of America

Re: How long to get French citizenship/ EU passport through ancestry

Post by patrickwill » Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:54 pm

By ancestry I mean right of blood from one parent, I myself am not born in France.

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: How long to get French citizenship/ EU passport through ancestry

Post by ALKB » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:51 pm

patrickwill wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:54 pm
By ancestry I mean right of blood from one parent, I myself am not born in France.
Being born in France does not make one French.

Has your parent registered you with the French Embassy?

Do you have your parents' livret de famille?

If one of your parents is French then you are already a dual national from birth and you would not apply for nationality but for a passport. Applying for a first French passport as an adult, you do need to provide documents that show that you are indeed French. I believe that I have read on a dedicated forum for France that French authorities have a thing for 'fresh' documents (birth certificates, etc.) that can't be older than x months.

The French Embassy should have a list of documents you need to provide and should also be bale to tell you approximate processing times (do NOT expect quick).
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.