ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR residence card = 2004/38 Art 10 card?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

panyatna
Newly Registered

ILR residence card = 2004/38 Art 10 card?

Post by panyatna » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:36 pm

Is a UK ILR residence permit classed as a “Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen” under Art 10 of the Free Movement Directive 2004/38/EC? What about if it is accompanied by a marriage certificate to a UK citizen? Thanks.

zimba
Mood:

Re: ILR residence card = 2004/38 Art 10 card?

Post by zimba » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:07 am

panyatna wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:36 pm
Is a UK ILR residence permit classed as a “Residence card of a family member of a Union citizen” under Art 10 of the Free Movement Directive 2004/38/EC? What about if it is accompanied by a marriage certificate to a UK citizen? Thanks.
No. ILR is a specific status granted under UK immigration rules and has no legal standing outside the UK. So ILR cannot be used for travel to the EU
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

panyatna
Newly Registered

Post by panyatna » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:08 pm

Zimba wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:07 am
panyatna wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:36 pm
No. ILR is a specific status granted under UK immigration rules and has no legal standing outside the UK. So ILR cannot be used for travel to the EU
Thanks for your reply. It states on https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... dex_en.htm that:

“However, if they arrive at the border with their passport but without an entry visa, the border authorities should give them the opportunity to prove by other means that they are family members of a mobile EU citizen. They can do so by providing proof of their identity and family ties with an EU citizen (for example a marriage or birth certificate) and, proof that they are joining or accompanying the EU citizen (for example, proof that the EU citizen is already living in the country where entry is sought). If they manage to prove it, they should be issued with an entry visa on the spot.”

This seems to be based on article 5(4) of the directive:
“Where a Union citizen, or a family member who is not a national of a Member State, does not have the necessary travel documents or, if required, the necessary visas, the Member State concerned shall, before turning them back, give such persons every reasonable opportunity to obtain the necessary documents or have them brought to them within a reasonable period of time or to corroborate or prove by other means that they are covered by the right of free movement and residence.”

We cannot apply for an Irish visa as the embassy is closed due to a Covid-19. Assuming we managed to get on a flight to Ireland, the non-EU spouse (travelling with EU spouse) simply has to present passport and marriage certificate at Irish border control, and an entry visa is automatically granted? How long would that visa be for?

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:40 am

An airline will refuse boarding a passenger on a flight to Ireland if they are a non-visa national without a valid visa or residence permit. In a rare situation where you end up there, it is up to Irish authorities to grant entry. This is not recommended at all.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:32 pm

Is there any reason that you want to travel right now?

The rights that you have mentioned above kick in when you can get to an immigration officer.

However, if your spouse requires a visa to travel to either Ireland or the Schengen Zone, airlines and/or ferry companies will likely not allow them to board in the first place.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

panyatna
Newly Registered

Post by panyatna » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:04 am

Hi again, after the ECJ decision in http://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/d ... id=8210597 the UK permanent residence card is now equivalent to the 2004/38 Art 10 card. So my wife with UK PR card should now be able to enter Ireland without a visa.

As I understand it, she should also no longer have entry or exit stamps placed in her passport under 2004/38 Art 5(3).

I wonder however how this affects the Schengen 90/180 rule. This does not apply to holders of the 2004/38 Art 10 card when travelling with EU spouse, does it? In which case, the ECJ decision could disapply the 90/180 rule from the holder of a UK PR card when travelling with EU spouse?

Sorry to the last poster, I missed your message.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:44 am

panyatna wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:04 am
Hi again, after the ECJ decision in http://curia.europa.eu/juris/document/d ... id=8210597 the UK permanent residence card is now equivalent to the 2004/38 Art 10 card. So my wife with UK PR card should now be able to enter Ireland without a visa.
You've misunderstood the judgement. The ECJ has ruled that a person holding a Permanent Residence Card issued under Article 20 of EU Directive 2004/38/EC has the same rights as a person holding a Residence Card issued under Article 10 of the same Directive.

An ILR BRP is NOT a Permanent Residence Card for the purposes of EU law. A Permanent Residence Card is only issued for family members of non-UK EEA citizens living in the UK or for UK citizens who resided with their family members in another EEA member-state for more than three months and returned with them to the UK.
panyatna wrote:
As I understand it, she should also no longer have entry or exit stamps placed in her passport under 2004/38 Art 5(3).
If she has ILR issued under the UK Immigration Rules, while she is within the UK, she is subject to the same rules as those determined by her passport. She will need to be stamped in when entering the UK.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

panyatna
Newly Registered

Post by panyatna » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:53 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:44 am
panyatna wrote:
You've misunderstood the judgement. The ECJ has ruled that a person holding a Permanent Residence Card issued under Article 20 of EU Directive 2004/38/EC has the same rights as a person holding a Residence Card issued under Article 10 of the same Directive.

An ILR BRP is NOT a Permanent Residence Card for the purposes of EU law. A Permanent Residence Card is only issued for family members of non-UK EEA citizens living in the UK or for UK citizens who resided with their family members in another EEA member-state for more than three months and returned with them to the UK.
panyatna wrote:
If she has ILR issued under the UK Immigration Rules, while she is within the UK, she is subject to the same rules as those determined by her passport. She will need to be stamped in when entering the UK.
Looks like I have indeed misunderstood it. Got over excited. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the clarification. Is the only difference between an Art 10 and an Art 20 residence permit that the former is temporary and the latter is permanent?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:00 pm

panyatna wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:53 pm
Looks like I have indeed misunderstood it. Got over excited. Back to the drawing board. Thanks for the clarification. Is the only difference between an Art 10 and an Art 20 residence permit that the former is temporary and the latter is permanent?
Correct. Although still not applicable you anyway.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... dence-card
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.