ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

immigration card, pps number, extended stay....help!

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

ukmb
Newly Registered

immigration card, pps number, extended stay....help!

Post by ukmb » Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:53 pm

I have lived in Ireland for 5 years. My son just came over from the states 2 1/2 months ago. We haven't been able to find work for him yet and he would really like to stay. We went to get a pps number for him and they said he would need an immigration card. I never heard of this. Also can he get an extended stay on his visa? What would they look for? I know if he has more time would could find work as I have gooten a few more applications in the last few days. But time is running out. Help.

marialear

Post by marialear » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:19 pm

Hi,

Ok, first you say that you've been in Ireland for 5 years, have you gotten or applied for Irish citizenship? If not, why not? You can apply after you've been here legally for 5 years of residence. Does your son have/or can apply for citizenship via Irish parent(s), grandparents or some other link like an Irish spouse?

My understanding is that if a non-national comes to Ireland and plans to stay over 90 days then he must present himself to the Immigration Authorities either in Dublin or any local Garda Station to have a special 'leave to remain' stamp stamped in his passport. With regards to the immigration card, mine is issued to me on an annual basis when I register with the Garda upon recieving my work permit renewal each year. It's the size of a credit card with a photo and personal details on it. I would assume that once your son is properly registered he'd receive one too, but I'm not sure. I would assume that he would be questioned upon registering with Immigration about what his intentions are in Ireland (working/studying..., how long he plans to stay, can he support himself money-wise....etc)

What type of visa does he have now? Extension rules vary accordingly. In any event a non-EU national cannot work in Ireland without either a work permit or work authorization/visa. This takes time, up to 10 weeks and have a whole host of regulations that go with each option. Check out www.entemp.ie and www.justice.ie for info on immigration rules and work permit/work authorization rules.

Good luck, I hope this helps?

Regards, Maria

ukmb
Newly Registered

Post by ukmb » Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:57 pm

I haven't been here for exactly 5 years, not till the end of november. And in that time period I did work witout a permit. Not my fault but employers were to get me one and kept putting it off ( I had been working for them and they kept saying, ' don't worry, I'll get it') So even though it's 5 years, it's not really.
And it my gradparents that came from Ireland, my son's great-grandparents.
And what has us worried is that, because I'm supporting him, they will throw him out. Do they follow a list of rules or is every case different?
It's scary not knowing what the government will do when you are not a citizen. Really!

marialear

Post by marialear » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:26 pm

True it is scary, however, one must take extra careful care when living in a foreign country and right or wrong we are non-EU/Irish nationals & it's up to us to follow the rules.

Saying that it was not completely your fault is not exactly fair, ignorance is not an excuse & 'at the end of the day' as they say over here, you have to take responsibilty for your own circumstances. Why not get the papers and fill them out yourself? Present your employer with all the papers/documents and simply get them to sign them. Follow up on the application process yourself, don't ever rely on anyone else to do it for you. Let's face it, it would be our life that would be turned upside down, not the employer. Fines are now in place to stop employers from hiring an illegal but, it is the individual non-national who is most affected not the employer. They've little to gain and we have a lot to lose.

Are you working legally now? You may have caused yourself a little bit of damage by working illegally thus further applications made under your name may not be met with the best outcome, were you caught working illegally or did you stop before? What was the outcome with your immigration status? Basically, are you legally here now as a registered non-Irish national? Maybe that could have implications on your sons plight?

I'm sorry if this is sounding harsh, but I'm just trying to highlight potential problems and offer possible solutions. There is a very good immigrant office in Dublin called Immigrant Council under www.immigrant.ie. If you contact them with your particular problems/questions they may be able to help personally?

Good luck, it's over till it's over, keep trying.

Sincerely,

Maria

marialear

Post by marialear » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:29 pm

ukmb
Newly Registered

Post by ukmb » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:26 am

I was actually told by a junior minister for foriegn affairs that as long as I have my pps number and pay taxes that I could work in any private sector but not public sector. I wonder if that's true?
Right now I'm legal. But if the time comes where I may not have a job, I wonder if what he said was right?

marialear

Post by marialear » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:59 am

Hmmmm, sounds suspect to me, I was under the understanding that a non-national had to have a work permit for a specific job placement and could not change jobs unless the first permit was cancelled and a new one applied for. I know that under the work authorization/visa scheme set up for specific jobs (Dr, nurse, IT, engineer...) they could change employers as long as they stay within the same sector of work (eg. an engineer changing construction companies). Is this what you have? This option is valid for two years where as the work permit is only valid for one, but both have to be renewed at some time, so you should have had additional paper work coming your way during the years that you've been here. Either way, both options mean that you have had to register with Immigration and get your passport stamped and get an Immigration card(which replaced the green 'alien' book a few years ago).

If I were you I would check back with who ever you were talking too and make sure. Was the information given to you in writing or over the phone? I wouldn't let it go if I were you, let me know how it turns out! :) Good luck.

Maria

ukmb
Newly Registered

Post by ukmb » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:52 am

I had gone to this persons house and talked to him. Now I had a work permit when I first got here, but was made redundant. That's when the trouble started. So it's not like I'm not on file or anything. The taxes are still being paid to the government. My kids are still getting childrens benefits. But it has bothered me that this was said. I do know that it's a lot harder now than it used to be, but this was told to me a year or two ago.

marialear

Post by marialear » Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:07 pm

Maybe because you've been here for a while you're in a different category or something? Like you said, the rules have changed significantly over the past 5 years so you are probably bound by those older regulations and not the newer ones? I don't know as I've only been here since 2000, so maye schemes were in place before then that allowed non-nationals to change jobs easier? If you're getting government benefits for your children then surely if there was a problem with your immigration status, it would have been detected? I have no idea, just guessing. In any case, it sounds like you have nothing to worry about for your own situation as I assume that any problems would have been picked up at the end of the tax year or when you applied for child benefits?

Well, all I can suggest with regards to your son staying is to get all your (and his) paperwork together along with old correspondance that you've received from immigration and other government depts. and get down to the immigration authorities on Burgh Quay. I guess you can get an appointment with some sort of official who can help you out. Also, jot down the conversation details of the junior foreign affairs person with his/her name and time/date of your conversation. Bring all that with you along with documents from tax, payslips, passport anything that proves you are legal and hopefully it can all be resolved.