ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Long-Term Residence (EU) and medical graduate moving to Germany

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

george8666
Newly Registered
Germany

Long-Term Residence (EU) and medical graduate moving to Germany

Post by george8666 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:21 pm

Hello I'm a Syrian citizen holding a Medical Degree from a Hungarian medical school as well as a Hungarian Permanent Residence card. I Would like to move to Germany and start work there.

I am starting the process of Approbation (Medical license approval) and thus dont have a job offer yet.
I have also found a place of residence in Bayern and have done the "Anmeldung".

My question is, Can I stay for longer than 3 months in Germany without any specific residence permit? Can I apply for a German residence permit without yet having a concrete job offer (I have enough funds to support myself until then)? If so, what type of Resident Permit would I be granted?

I am in an awkward stage where im learning german and trying to get paper work, so maybe i should apply for some sort of student visa?
I scoured the net for days about Foreigners with EU Long term Residence but info. is always vague...

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Re: Long-Term Residence (EU) and medical graduate moving to Germany

Post by ALKB » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:03 pm

george8666 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:21 pm
Hello I'm a Syrian citizen holding a Medical Degree from a Hungarian medical school as well as a Hungarian Permanent Residence card.
Which do you hold: Long-term residence EU, Hungarian Permanent Residence or both? It makes a difference.
george8666 wrote:
I have also found a place of residence in Bayern and have done the "Anmeldung".
That might have been a bit premature. When did you register your residence? Since that day, you need to enroll in the German health care system and that can be expensive if you don't have a job/are not eligible for benefits. Did you sign a rental contract?
george8666 wrote:
My question is, Can I stay for longer than 3 months in Germany without any specific residence permit?
No.
george8666 wrote:
it without yet having a concrete job offer (I have enough funds to support myself until then)? If so, what type of Resident Permit would I be granted?
That depends on what kind of permanent residence you hold - Hungarian, EU or both? Hungarian doesn't really help, but if you indeed hold long-term residence EU, acquiring a residence permit 'should be facilitated' if you meet the requirements otherwise. A medical doctor should have minimal trouble with that.

It also depends on what exactly you plan on doing next. Enroll in a language course - you can get a residence permit for that. Have a job offer - you can get a residence permit for that, too.

"If you hold an EU long-term residence permit issued by another EU Member State, a residence permit will be issued to you in Germany allowing you to work, study or undergo training here.

After you have been resident in Germany for five years, you can apply for an EU long-term residence permit in Germany. The EU long-term residence permit issued in the first Member State will then expire. "

Source: https://www.bamf.de/EN/Themen/Migration ... nternet542
george8666 wrote:
I am in an awkward stage where im learning german and trying to get paper work, so maybe i should apply for some sort of student visa?
I scoured the net for days about Foreigners with EU Long term Residence but info. is always vague...
Are you actually attending language classes? I would have thought those are all suspended right now.

If I were you, I'd contact the local Ausländerbehörde.

Also have a ready here, if you haven't seen this, yet:

https://www.make-it-in-germany.com/en/j ... physicians
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

george8666
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by george8666 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:19 pm

I only have a Hungarian Permanent Resident permit (I assumed thats the same as an EU long term Residence as Hungary is an EU/schengen country).
I have signed a contract for an apartment, I did the Anmedlung in Novermber 2020 by post but havent receieved the Anmeldebestätigung. I am currently also enrolled in a B2.2 Intesiv Language course thats only 1 month long (which is currently online).

ALKB
Respected Guru
Germany

Post by ALKB » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:04 pm

george8666 wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:19 pm
I only have a Hungarian Permanent Resident permit (I assumed thats the same as an EU long term Residence as Hungary is an EU/schengen country).
I have signed a contract for an apartment, I did the Anmedlung in Novermber 2020 by post but havent receieved the Anmeldebestätigung. I am currently also enrolled in a B2.2 Intesiv Language course thats only 1 month long (which is currently online).
No, it's not the same. The Hungarian permanent residence permit is valid for Hungary and for visits of 90 days or less in Schengen.

You can still apply for a permit for language studies, but a one month course will not give you much in a way of a residence permit. You've done things backwards. Now you are legally obliged to pay rent, whether you live in that apartment or not.

Have you spent more than five years in Hungary?

If so, check whether you are eligible for Long term residence EU, return to Hungary and apply for it! It will make things easier.

Or enroll in a proper intensive language course that really prepares you for the Gleichwertigkeitsprüfung and get a language study permit for that. You may not be allowed to work on that though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long-term ... ean_Union)

http://www.bmbah.hu/index.php?option=co ... 14&lang=en#
I am not a regulated immigration advisor. I am offering an opinion and not advice.

george8666
Newly Registered
Germany

Post by george8666 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:27 pm

Thank you for all the info. I will check out everything you've linked, hope I'll figure it out soon :roll: