ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marriage in Hungary

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sloker
Newly Registered
Russia

Marriage in Hungary

Post by sloker » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:31 pm

Hello! I am from Russia, and I am going to marry my girlfriend in Hungary and stay there for living. My girlfriend is Hungarian, and currently lives there. Can you, guys, explain to me, can I go there with a travelling visa, and after we marry update the visa? Or how does it work? Can I stay there longer than the travelling visa implies after marriage? What documents do I need?

CharlotteCorday
Newly Registered

Re: Marriage in Hungary

Post by CharlotteCorday » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi sloker :)

I got married in Hungary 6 years ago, but we didn't start living here right after the marriage, we were living in the UK. We moved to Budapest less than a year ago. For the residence permit, the documents we had to present with the application form were passport/ID, marriage certificate, proof of sufficient funds, proof of address in Hungary, and a private medical insurance that covers emergencies. Once we did that, I was given a document certifying that I had applied and had the right to stay in Hungary while the residence permit was being processed.

My guess is that you could apply for the residence permit right after the marriage takes place if you are settling down in Hungary, but the best is for your girlfriend to go to her council office and find out all the current information.

Hope that's helpful, good luck! :)

jul1
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jul1 » Sun May 13, 2018 2:56 pm

i think u have to be in hungary for more than a month to sort out all the papers u need, though im not sure there is a legal requirement to spend some time before u got married.
Im hungarian but igot married in the Philippines where u must stay 10 days in the country before u get married.
But anyway it is rather quick, and after that right away u can apply for the resident card as familiy member of hungarian citizen, my wife has this card, as we stayed a short while in Hungary too.

In general they are very quick with all the paperworks, for u its even faster cause u dont have to register a foreign marriage, cause its done in Hungary, we had to do that but its just 1 month

Hungary extended the freedom of movement eu directive to their own citizen, which is very rare in the EU, so it means that is very easy to bring in non-eu spouses to Hungary, i guess that is because the emigration and low birth rate causing loss of population in the last 30 years, so the population is kinda rapidly shrinking, even with government incentives poeple are reluctant to have more babies, so legal immigration ti Hungary is considered rather easy (of course we are not talking about the illegal migrants coming from Syria, the government in Hungary is really against them).

One u are married u need some proof that u can stay somewhere and u wife has income to support u, immigration officers will actually come and check on the place u will live if its in proper condition and that u are actually live in there, so dont live that place once u started the application for the resident card. Its not a random thing, every time immigration will do that check. In 70 days u should get ur resident card, and in another 1 month the so called "address card" . The expiration date of the resident card is 5 years from date of issue, but the address card never expires. which is very handy. Normally you need fresh proof of address, like electricity bills, when u sort out legal stuff, or papers, but in Hungary u can just use this card all the time as a proof of address.
With that resident card u can work legally.

sloker
Newly Registered
Russia

Post by sloker » Mon May 14, 2018 11:32 am

CharlotteCorday wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:14 pm

I got married in Hungary 6 years ago, but we didn't start living here right after the marriage, we were living in the UK. We moved to Budapest less than a year ago. For the residence permit, the documents we had to present with the application form were passport/ID, marriage certificate, proof of sufficient funds, proof of address in Hungary, and a private medical insurance that covers emergencies. Once we did that, I was given a document certifying that I had applied and had the right to stay in Hungary while the residence permit was being processed.

My guess is that you could apply for the residence permit right after the marriage takes place if you are settling down in Hungary, but the best is for your girlfriend to go to her council office and find out all the current information.

Can you tell me where can I get apostille for my documents? I know what documents I need. I read that I need apostille for birth certificate. After translating documents in "Hungarian Office for Translation and Attestation" are my documents legal?

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:06 pm

What is the authority who issued the documents, is it Russia?

The issuing country will have to Apostille stamp (ie, legalise) your documents.

A Russian document can not be Apostilled in Hungary by the Hungarian authority.
sloker wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:32 am
CharlotteCorday wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:14 pm

Can you tell me where can I get apostille for my documents? I know what documents I need. I read that I need apostille for birth certificate. After translating documents in "Hungarian Office for Translation and Attestation" are my documents legal?