ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com


Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Maximum Length for Schengen Visa?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Locked
dsab85
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:44 am

Maximum Length for Schengen Visa?

Post by dsab85 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:17 am

Good Morning,

I was just wondering if there is a limit for how long embassies can issue a Schengen Visa.

My wife (residing in UK as a spouse of German citizen) just applied for a new Schengen Visa with the German Embassy (big thumps up to the Embassy, as all was done very quick and easy by mail), and she was Issued a multiple Entry Visa for 3 years.

I was just wondering what the longest would be thay would ever hand out.

Regards,
dsab

86ti
Diamond Member
Posts: 2760
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:07 am

Re: Maximum Length for Schengen Visa?

Post by 86ti » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:34 am

dsab85 wrote:Good Morning,

I was just wondering if there is a limit for how long embassies can issue a Schengen Visa.

My wife (residing in UK as a spouse of German citizen) just applied for a new Schengen Visa with the German Embassy (big thumps up to the Embassy, as all was done very quick and easy by mail), and she was Issued a multiple Entry Visa for 3 years.

I was just wondering what the longest would be thay would ever hand out.

Regards,
dsab
You may find your answer in the Common Consular Instructions.

AxeZ
Newbie
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:36 am
Location: Novi Sad, Vojvodina
Contact:

Post by AxeZ » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:47 am

3 years...damn, my wife got only 2 years with the Czech embassy in Belgrade.

Richard66
Senior Member
Posts: 745
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:17 pm
Location: Italy

Post by Richard66 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:41 pm

The maximum is 5 years (C5 visa).
Aiming at travelling to the UK with my wife and not with an EEA FP!

dsab85
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:44 am

Post by dsab85 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:35 pm

Thanks for the response. Good to know for the future.

charles4u
Member of Standing
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:33 pm

Post by charles4u » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:13 am

Hello, I want to know what is required to apply for this long stay Schengen visa. What are the documents needed in applying for 2-3 or even 5yrs Schengen visa.

Is it given to just EU-family members and what does it take to get.
Charles4u

dsab85
Member
Posts: 224
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:44 am

Post by dsab85 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:34 pm

charles4u wrote:Hello, I want to know what is required to apply for this long stay Schengen visa. What are the documents needed in applying for 2-3 or even 5yrs Schengen visa.

Is it given to just EU-family members and what does it take to get.
We didn't do anything special. We just applied for a normal Multiple Entry Schengen Visa. Just sent in the filled Application Form, a Passport Picture, our Marriage Certificate and our both passports.

charles4u
Member of Standing
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:33 pm

Post by charles4u » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:34 am

[quote="dsab85]
We didn't do anything special. We just applied for a normal Multiple Entry Schengen Visa. Just sent in the filled Application Form, a Passport Picture, our Marriage Certificate and our both passports.[/quote]


Wow ..well can I know ur both nationality as my wife is a non-schengen country Romanian and am a Nigerian. so will it be possible for me also getting this long term schegen visa as I dont have family or anyone in the schegen region......just often going there for some businesses and personal plessures.
Charles4u

scrudu
Senior Member
Posts: 649
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:00 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Post by scrudu » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:51 am

Very interesting. My husband (Indonesian) has applied for Schengen Visas 3 times at the German Embassy in Dublin (to travel there with me, Irish). Each time we have requested a Multiple Entry Visa. For all applications we had to submit a full package of info (Passports, Marriage Cert, Flights & Accom details, Payslips, Bank Statements etc.). The first 2 times the request for a multiple entry visa was simply ignored. The Embassy said that they would only issue visas for the duration of the flights and accommodation details provided. The last time as we had also submitted flight and accommodation bookings for a subsequent trip to France, he was issued a multiple entry visa for the exact dates of the Flight into Germany, until the date of the flight exiting France.

As my husband has an Irish Stamp 4, Spouse of Irish Citizen Visa, based on Irish Domestic Law (not Stamp4EUFAM or EU Family Permit based on EU Directive), I know the German Embassy in Dublin treat him differently to those who have the Stamp4EUFAM. Typically holders of those visa stamps do not require any Visa to enter Germany. But it seems that the German embassy in the UK are behaving differently to the one in Ireland. I wonder was this because the applicant was a spouse of a German citizen?

As I lived in Germany for years we regularly travel there and it'd be ideal if he could get a multiple Entry one so we could book flights and travel without weeks of planning first.
Last edited by scrudu on Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

charles4u
Member of Standing
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:33 pm

Post by charles4u » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:18 am

scrudu wrote:Very interesting. My husband (Indonesian) has applied for Schengen Visas 3 times at the German Embassy in Dublin (to travel there with me, Irish). Each time we have requested a Multiple Entry Visa. For all applications we had to submit a full package of info (Passports, Marriage Cert, Flights & Accom details, Payslips, Bank Statements etc.). The first 2 times the request for a multiple entry visa was simply ignored. The Embassy said that they would only issue visas for the duration of the flights and accommodation details provided. The last time as we had also submitted flight and accommodation bookings for a subsequent trip to France, he was issued a multiple entry visa for the exact dates of the Flight into Germany, until the date of the flight exiting France.

As my husband has a Stamp 4 (not Stamp4EUFAM or EU Family Permit) visa from Ireland, I know the German Embassy in Dublin treat him differently to those who have the Stamp4EUFAM. Typically holders of those visa stamps do not require any Visa to enter Germany. But it seems that the German embassy in the UK are behaving differently to the one in Ireland. I wonder was this because the applicant was a spouse of a German citizen?

As I lived in Germany for years we regularly travel there and it'd be ideal if he could get a multiple Entry one so we could book flights and travel without weeks of planning first.

Your case is different...lately the UK and Ireland are causing problem for family members going to the UK or Ireland and therefore its being a little mixedup for their family members coming to the EU member states, The fact u dont have a family card then you dont qualify for a free-visa and also it is normal for them to ask u so much papers as u r not holding a family member identification.
Charles4u

scrudu
Senior Member
Posts: 649
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:00 pm
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Post by scrudu » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:26 am

As the spouse of a European citizen, and travelling with that European citizen, my husband is entitled to a free Visa. This only changes if he were to travel on his own. This is not dependent on which visa stamp you hold.

My husband holds a Visa that states it was issued on the basis of being the spouse of an Irish citizen. Dissimilarly to dsab85, it was not granted under the EU Directive, but instead under Irish domestic law. Both his visa and Goverment ID state that this visa is a "Spouse of Irish Citizen" visa.

So are you saying that because the UK and Ireland are making it difficult for spouses of other EU countries to come to IRL/UK, that other European countries are making it difficult for spouses of citizens of IRL/UK to be granted Multi-entry visas?

Richard66
Senior Member
Posts: 745
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:17 pm
Location: Italy

Post by Richard66 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:53 am

Tit for tat. Family members please pay!
Aiming at travelling to the UK with my wife and not with an EEA FP!

charles4u
Member of Standing
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:33 pm

Post by charles4u » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:54 pm

Richard good words...tit for tat and I guess thats just the way it is.
Still with that type of whatever u have, ur spouse cant go visa-free cus he or she doesnt have an Identificate as a family member...cus only this ID qualifies for visa-free and u can try going but no airline will even carry u at the first place. I dont mean harmfull words but thats just the way it is.

He has to have a residence that states family member first then other problems or issues follows.
Charles4u

Locked
cron