ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Moldovan/Romanian Issue

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Sam0091
Newly Registered

Moldovan/Romanian Issue

Post by Sam0091 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:29 pm

My girlfriend is from Moldova and holds dual nationality - Romanian/Moldovan.

She works in the UK as an EU national (Romanian Citizenship) and traveled here on her valid EU passport.

1) She was married in Moldova to a US citizen, who have since separated (not divorced) and she came to the UK after they split. (She got here Jan 2018)

2) Her Romanian passport expired in June 2018 whilst she was in the UK. She is having major issues renewing it due to Romanian 'rules' stating she needs her husband present to convert her Moldovan marriage docs to Romanian. This won't be possible.

3) She is in a position where she cannot & return leave the UK as her EU passport (Romainian) is expired as i'm assuming UK immigration wouldn't let her in following her plane landing back in the UK.

4) Her Moldovan passport is valid.

She needs the following:

- Ability to leave & return to the UK without renewing her Romanian passport
- Ability to provide ample documents to apply for pre-settled status
- Have valid (preferably) UK gov issued documents proving she is an EU citizenship and to get things such as NI number for self assessments, UK driving license, bank accounts etc

I tried to simplify the position as much as I could and I hope the above makes sense as to her position. We're incredibly stressed out and worried, especially with Brexit.

Any help, advice and experience will be massively appreciated.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Re: Moldovan/Romanian Issue

Post by Caravel88 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:10 pm

Does she not have a Romanian ID card?
Sam0091 wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:29 pm
My girlfriend is from Moldova and holds dual nationality - Romanian/Moldovan.

She works in the UK as an EU national (Romanian Citizenship) and traveled here on her valid EU passport.

1) She was married in Moldova to a US citizen, who have since separated (not divorced) and she came to the UK after they split. (She got here Jan 2018)

2) Her Romanian passport expired in June 2018 whilst she was in the UK. She is having major issues renewing it due to Romanian 'rules' stating she needs her husband present to convert her Moldovan marriage docs to Romanian. This won't be possible.

3) She is in a position where she cannot & return leave the UK as her EU passport (Romainian) is expired as i'm assuming UK immigration wouldn't let her in following her plane landing back in the UK.

4) Her Moldovan passport is valid.

She needs the following:

- Ability to leave & return to the UK without renewing her Romanian passport
- Ability to provide ample documents to apply for pre-settled status
- Have valid (preferably) UK gov issued documents proving she is an EU citizenship and to get things such as NI number for self assessments, UK driving license, bank accounts etc

I tried to simplify the position as much as I could and I hope the above makes sense as to her position. We're incredibly stressed out and worried, especially with Brexit.

Any help, advice and experience will be massively appreciated.

Sam0091
Newly Registered

Post by Sam0091 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:23 am

She said no, she doesn't think she can get one as she isn't a resident of Romania & would need residence there?

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:15 pm

All Romanian citizens can and should have one. She should get one.

To enter Britain (or any EU state) she doesn't need anything bar prove her ID by any means by the way.
Sam0091 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:23 am
She said no, she doesn't think she can get one as she isn't a resident of Romania & would need residence there?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:40 am

Caravel88 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:15 pm
To enter Britain (or any EU state) she doesn't need anything bar prove her ID by any means by the way.
And of course, she needs to prove that she is still a Romanian/EU citizen.
Regulation 11 of the EEA Regulations wrote:11.—(1) An EEA national must be admitted to the United Kingdom on arrival if the EEA national produces a valid national identity card or passport issued by an EEA State.
(4) Before an immigration officer refuses admission to the United Kingdom to a person under this regulation because the person does not produce on arrival a document mentioned in paragraph (1) or (2), the immigration officer must provide every reasonable opportunity for the document to be obtained by, or brought to, the person or allow the person to prove by other means that the person is—
(a) an EEA national;...
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.