ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New Schengen visa exemptions for 6 countries

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

joesoap101
Member of Standing

New Schengen visa exemptions for 6 countries

Post by joesoap101 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:39 pm

The requirement to obtain a Schengen visa will soon be removed for nationals of:

Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas
Barbados
Mauritius
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Seychelles

This exemption will come into force when the above countries conclude their visa agreements with the EU.

In addition to this Bolivia will be added to the visa-required category from April 2007.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Re: New Schengen visa exemptions for 6 countries

Post by Dawie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:19 am

joesoap101 wrote:The requirement to obtain a Schengen visa will soon be removed for nationals of:

Antigua and Barbuda
Bahamas
Barbados
Mauritius
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Seychelles

This exemption will come into force when the above countries conclude their visa agreements with the EU.

In addition to this Bolivia will be added to the visa-required category from April 2007.
To be honest I'm a little sickened by this. Most of these countries/territories are some of the poorest areas in the world and yet citizens of my country, South Africa, by far the biggest economy in Africa, continue to require a visa to visit Schengenland.

It's no accident that all these territories are islands.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:51 pm

The Bahamas ($20,200 PPP), Barbados ($17,300 PPP) arent exactly poor but the rest are relatively poor. There are two things that count in their favour - all are island nations and their combimed population is a tiny 2 014 000. I know the Bahamas has been moaning for years about being on the Schengen black list.

So it seems that the first 'african' countries to be on the Schengen white list is Mauritius and the Seychelles.

I generally welcome any additions to the vise exempt list, and I believe Bolivia should have been removed years ago.

I suppose if you had to ask the ministers about South Africa they would say that they don't have confidence in the passport issuing mechanism etc etc

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:10 pm

joesoap101 wrote:The Bahamas ($20,200 PPP), Barbados ($17,300 PPP) arent exactly poor but the rest are relatively poor. There are two things that count in their favour - all are island nations and their combimed population is a tiny 2 014 000. I know the Bahamas has been moaning for years about being on the Schengen black list.

So it seems that the first 'african' countries to be on the Schengen white list is Mauritius and the Seychelles.

I generally welcome any additions to the vise exempt list, and I believe Bolivia should have been removed years ago.

I suppose if you had to ask the ministers about South Africa they would say that they don't have confidence in the passport issuing mechanism etc etc
I agree that Bermuda and Bahamas are relatively wealthy. I've been to Mauritius and Seychelles and can confidently say that the vast majority of their citizens live in devastating poverty, so the decision to include them on the list baffles me.

South Africa still requires visas for citizens from several Eastern European countries that recently joined the EU so I'm guessing this is a major issue.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:04 pm

In addition to the new countries exempted, British Nationals (Overseas) will also be exempted.

The following will be required to obtain a visa:

British Overseas Territories citizens who do not have the right of abode in the UK

British Overseas Citizens

British Subjects who do not have the right of abode in the UK and

British Protected persons.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:22 am

Dawie wrote: I agree that Bermuda and Bahamas are relatively wealthy.
Bermuda is a British Overseas Territory and since 2002, Bermudians are full British citizens.

Did you mean Barbados?

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:29 pm

JAJ wrote:
Dawie wrote: I agree that Bermuda and Bahamas are relatively wealthy.
Bermuda is a British Overseas Territory and since 2002, Bermudians are full British citizens.

Did you mean Barbados?
Yes, sorry :oops: Of course I did.....

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:27 pm

http://www.jonesbahamas.com/?c=45&a=11201

For anyone who is interested, the Council Regulation as it appeared in the Official Journal of the EU

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/sit ... 230034.pdf

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:33 pm

Interesting, although I'm surprised Bolivians, Costa Ricans, El Salvadorians, Guatamalans, Hondurans, Mexicans, Nicaraguans, Panamanians and Venezuelans currently do not require visas to enter Schengenland, when substantially richer and economically stable countries such as South Africa, Botswana, India, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, U.A.E. and Russia do.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:31 pm

Bolivians will be required to have visa from 1st of april. They finally realised that the visa free regime was abused especially by bolivians. But the reality is that europe is full of illegal immigrants from south america. Although its politically incorrect and a somewhat taboo issue for the EU but unfortunately their policies take on a distinct facial profile based on prejudice. South Africa being a good example because outside of europe the visa free access is good.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:38 pm

joesoap101 wrote:Bolivians will be required to have visa from 1st of april. They finally realised that the visa free regime was abused especially by bolivians. But the reality is that europe is full of illegal immigrants from south america. Although its politically incorrect and a somewhat taboo issue for the EU but unfortunately their policies take on a distinct facial profile based on prejudice. South Africa being a good example because outside of europe the visa free access is good.
I suspect Spain and Portugal have played a large part in guaranteeing visa-free access for a lot of Central and South American countries. Unfortunately because the United Kingdom is not part of the Schengen agreement the UK has never been able to influence visa-free access to Schengenland for countries that used to be British colonies like South Africa and Botswana, even though the UK itself doesn't require visas for these countries.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:39 pm

Dawie wrote:Unfortunately because the United Kingdom is not part of the Schengen agreement the UK has never been able to influence visa-free access to Schengenland for countries that used to be British colonies like South Africa and Botswana, even though the UK itself doesn't require visas for these countries.
Or alternatively, the UK would find its visa regime dictated by other countries that do not appreciate the specific interests of the United Kingdom. There is little evidence to suggest that Britain has - or has ever had - any real "influence" in Europe.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:05 am

I believe the countries who are visa exempt in schengenland enjoy that status because at least one of the member states had a national agreement on visa free access. Spain obviously had agreements with all the latin american countries, so they were incorporated into the schengen white list. South Africa unfortunately did not have this as far as I am aware, I could be incorrect- when was the last time South Africans could travel to todays schengen countries visa free?

I wonder if the UK were to join schengen would they demand a harmonisation of the UK position or the schengen position? i.e. a good few countries would be added to the schengen white list or, many will be removed from visa free access to the UK (and Ireland, seeing that if the UK join Ireland will also join schengen).

This would make no economic sense for the UK as far as i can see. The value of tourism trade between South Africa and the UK is much more substantial than most people realise.

One thing that annoys me about the UK and Ireland (and Denmark) is that whenever there are positive EU legislation which would improve the rights of people they back out, its so annoying!

And although I would love for the UK and Ireland to join schengen, to facilitate travel I am apprehensive about all the illegal immigrants in the rest of europe who would be on the next plane to britain - evident from the channel tunnel where many try to cross daily.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:07 am

joesoap101 wrote:I believe the countries who are visa exempt in schengenland enjoy that status because at least one of the member states had a national agreement on visa free access. Spain obviously had agreements with all the latin american countries, so they were incorporated into the schengen white list. South Africa unfortunately did not have this as far as I am aware, I could be incorrect- when was the last time South Africans could travel to todays schengen countries visa free?
I suspect that it would have been before the mid 1980s when many countries imposed sanctions.
I wonder if the UK were to join schengen would they demand a harmonisation of the UK position or the schengen position?
Experience with Europe suggests they would "demand harmonisation with schengen". But there is no serious voice in the United Kingdom suggesting that Schengen membership would be in the country's national interest. So the issue is unlikely to arise anytime soon.

The interests of an island nation at the edge of Europe will often be distinct from continental nations "at the heart of Europe" and the pretence otherwise is perhaps at the root of Britain's generally unhappy experience of EU membership.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:58 am

joesoap101 wrote:I wonder if the UK were to join schengen would they demand a harmonisation of the UK position or the schengen position? i.e. a good few countries would be added to the schengen white list or, many will be removed from visa free access to the UK (and Ireland, seeing that if the UK join Ireland will also join schengen).
I expect there'd be a lot of talking, no doubt at great expense to everyone (the people who do the talking have to be paid, after all), and then the UK would fall into line with existing Schengen arrangements, with maybe a "sop" or two. That seems to be the way these things go.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:28 pm

Well, there is going to be a precedent...Switzerland is going to enter the Schengen agreement in 2008 I think. Like the UK, there are a number of countries who do not currently require visas for Switzerland but do require a visa to enter the Schengen area (South Africa being an example). Switzerland is also rather unique in allowing people who ordinarily require a visa, but have UK residency, to enter without a visa.

So it will be interesting to see how they resolve the discrepencies between the 2 visa lists, but unfortunately I suspect that a number of countries who do not currently require visas to enter Switzerland will have to get a Schengen visa from 2008.

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:46 pm

Switzerland is also rather unique in allowing people who ordinarily require a visa, but have UK residency, to enter without a visa.
I appreciate Switzerland's policy! It makes travelling to Swizerland so easy.

For a Schengen visa, one need to book appointments in well advance (2+ months) - thus often losing cheap air fares, last minute discounts etc. - not to mention the harrassment of visiting London (or Edinburgh if Scotland) personally wasting more money and time!

Anyway nowadays I find mostly the Non-EU immigrations counters have less queue than EU counters (in most EU countries and minor UK airports - when flight is from mainland Europe)!

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:33 pm

Dawie wrote:Well, there is going to be a precedent...Switzerland is going to enter the Schengen agreement in 2008 I think. Like the UK, there are a number of countries who do not currently require visas for Switzerland but do require a visa to enter the Schengen area (South Africa being an example). Switzerland is also rather unique in allowing people who ordinarily require a visa, but have UK residency, to enter without a visa.

So it will be interesting to see how they resolve the discrepencies between the 2 visa lists, but unfortunately I suspect that a number of countries who do not currently require visas to enter Switzerland will have to get a Schengen visa from 2008.
This is an interesting point. Historically, Switzerland has been keen to expedite (as much as possible) people's entrance into the country, and hence has had what is a "liberal" visa regime compared with other wealthy nations. Feelings might have changed somewhat in Switzerland in the past few years, but despite some changes in its visa policy it has nevertheless maintained visa-free entry for more nationalities than most Western-style countries do.

Denmark used, I believe, to have some sort of arrangement for people who were long-term residents of the United Kingdom (i.e. with ILR) or had the right of abode, exempting them from some visa requirements. I expect that that is no longer so since Denmark joined the Schengen area (which was, I think, after the original group of countries).

furlings
Newly Registered

Post by furlings » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:08 am

Hi there guys,

Just a few things to say, especially about what dawie said!!!. I am from Mauritius but live in England and I still need a schegen visas to visit my in laws in Spain!!!!. How the hell can he say that we live in devastating poverty in mauritius???. As to what I've experienced we have much better education in Mauritius than England(where the standard is going down).

I know for a fact from my south african friends that there is devastating poverty in South Africa and the disparity is very much bigger.

Last time I check Mauritius was considered to have one the best economy among the african countries as well.

Anyway just because a country is poor doesn't mean that their citizens aren't worth of being in the schengen. Last time I check we're all from planet earth!!

Alvin

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
Latvia

Post by Administrator » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:49 pm

Quick item that seems to have been missed here (or maybe I missed ... skimmed the thread a bit quickly).

The Schengen Agreement isn't based upon economics or wealth. It's based upon an international treaty for law enforcement agencies to share data. It's more about access to databases, criminal records, biometric data, and certain standards in types of passports (newer, biometric/RFID machine readable).

When certain governments aren't willing to share the data openly in standardized, agreed upon ways, they do not qualify to become Schengen members.

Many of these smaller nations are able to meet the requirements due to small populations, isolation, and thorough law-enforcement record keeping that can be shared. Poverty or wealth becomes fairly irrelevant regarding the individual citizens of those countries.

South Africa, for example, has a huge population of people that the government cannot ensure background checks or validity of documents. India suffers the same problem. Both countries for different and similar reasons of general chaos in their systems and corruption.

Russia would be another example where anything can be bought for a price, so their passports are worthless as far as credible background-check documents.

Additionally, there is the perception of which countries offer potential entry methods for terrorists and criminals.

Don't take my post here as me supporting or not any particular viewpoint. I'm just adding some details as I've read them while studying up on the topic.

The Admin

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:08 pm

The Schengen Agreement isn't based upon economics or wealth. It's based upon an international treaty for law enforcement agencies to share data. It's more about access to databases, criminal records, biometric data, and certain standards in types of passports (newer, biometric/RFID machine readable).
This is true....if you're talking about qualifying to join the Schengen agreement. This discussion is actually about who does or does not get to be on the Schengen visa-free list, not about becoming a member of the Schengen agreement.
When certain governments aren't willing to share the data openly in standardized, agreed upon ways, they do not qualify to become Schengen members.
Again, this is true, but I don't see how it is relevant to a discussion about who does or does not get to be on the Schengen visa-free list.
Many of these smaller nations are able to meet the requirements due to small populations, isolation, and thorough law-enforcement record keeping that can be shared. Poverty or wealth becomes fairly irrelevant regarding the individual citizens of those countries.
Again, true, but not relevant to this discussion.
South Africa, for example, has a huge population of people that the government cannot ensure background checks or validity of documents. India suffers the same problem. Both countries for different and similar reasons of general chaos in their systems and corruption.
The United Kingdom, Ireland and Switzerland are 3 major European countries who seem perfectly happy not to require visas from South Africans. I would also argue that 2 countries with very similar socio-economic conditions to South Africa, Brazil and Mexico, with equally large and unaccountable populations enjoy visa-free access to the Schengen countries. Mexico and Brazil are arguably a lot more corrupt than South Africa.
Russia would be another example where anything can be bought for a price, so their passports are worthless as far as credible background-check documents.
If background checks are so important, why is no one checking the backgrounds of all those people who come into Schengenland visa-free?

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:40 pm

South Africa's passport issuing process really needs to be improved and I believe this is a large stumbling block for ease of visa requirements. Home Affairs officials are routinely charged with corruption and this needs to be sorted out! This will improve with the implementation of the epassport http://www.dha.gov.za/ep_project.asp

Having said that, I dont think the passport issuing systems of latin America are particularly secure, in fact South Africa is considered to be less corrupt than all of latin america with the exception of chile and also less corrupt or at the same level than most of the new EU states that joined in 2004/2007.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:53 pm

To be brutally honest and cynical I think the major stumbling block for the easing of visa requirements for South Africans is the large amount of black people who live in South Africa.

There is currently not a single African country in the visa-free list for the Schengen countries (or on the list of US visa waiver countries) although there are definitely a handful who deserve to be (South Africa being amongst them). One cannot help but come to the conclusion that this is racially motivated.

Although I have frequently experienced the frustration that comes with obtaining a South African passport from Home Affairs, I don't think they are any more or less corrupt than any other country.

stedman

Post by stedman » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:48 pm

Dawie wrote:To be brutally honest and cynical I think the major stumbling block for the easing of visa requirements for South Africans is the large amount of black people who live in South Africa.
Don't understand this - aren't "South Africans" and "the large number of black people who live in south Africa" the same? It's like someone saying "the major stumbling block for the easing of visa requirements for English people is the large amount of white people who live in England"

South Africa's visa requirements came about from the apartheid era, didn't they? The country was more or less shunned internationally until its apartheid policy was abolished in 1989.

If it was to do with skin colour, then Antigua, Barbados, Bahamas etc who have black people as the majority, just like South Africa, won't be able to enter the UK visa free. And Albanians and Russians would.

Commonwealth West Africans travelled to the UK visa free until 1983 when most w/african countries started experiencing economic hardship and wars, and the visa free arrangement was abused and understandably stopped. I personally had and have no problem with this.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:43 am

stedman wrote:South Africa's visa requirements came about from the apartheid era, didn't they? The country was more or less shunned internationally until its apartheid policy was abolished in 1989.

If it was to do with skin colour, then Antigua, Barbados, Bahamas etc who have black people as the majority, just like South Africa, won't be able to enter the UK visa free. And Albanians and Russians would.
But, to be fair, Dawie was talking about visa requirements for visitors to the Schengen area, which has quite separate requirements from those of the UK.