ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Non-EU marriage with expired passport

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dd2578
Newly Registered
United States of America

Non-EU marriage with expired passport

Post by dd2578 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:51 pm

I am writing on behalf of someone else. My friend was brought to Spain (via the Netherlands) on a sponsored visitor visa almost 3 years ago. My friend has not been working and has been supported by the sponsor of their visitor visa. They have decided to marry now and my friend was told by their sponsor to go to their's country's consulate and say they 'lost' their passport in order to get a new one. I looked into this and was told that the consulate would only issue a piece of paper for leaving the country and entry back home.

My friend wants to live and stay in Spain or the Netherlands. I would like to give my friend the correct steps to take to get a valid marriage, and then to get legal status (Dutch passport or residency) after overstaying for 3 years. The Sponsor is Dutch, my friend is from SE Asia. Thanks!

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Re: Non-EU marriage with expired passport

Post by Caravel88 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:27 pm

Sorry but what is the question here?
dd2578 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:51 pm
I am writing on behalf of someone else. My friend was brought to Spain (via the Netherlands) on a sponsored visitor visa almost 3 years ago. My friend has not been working and has been supported by the sponsor of their visitor visa. They have decided to marry now and my friend was told by their sponsor to go to their's country's consulate and say they 'lost' their passport in order to get a new one. I looked into this and was told that the consulate would only issue a piece of paper for leaving the country and entry back home.

My friend wants to live and stay in Spain or the Netherlands. I would like to give my friend the correct steps to take to get a valid marriage, and then to get legal status (Dutch passport or residency) after overstaying for 3 years. The Sponsor is Dutch, my friend is from SE Asia. Thanks!

dd2578
Newly Registered
United States of America

Post by dd2578 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:58 pm

I want to tell my friend how they can become legal in Europe by getting married to their Dutch partner, and if a simple marriage ceremony would allow my friend to become a legal resident of either Spain or the Netherlands. I am worried if they present an expired passport with an overstay that will be an issue.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:13 pm

Your friend needs a valid ID.
Then your friend needs to get the required documents to get married.
Once married, your friend can get residency via legal means.
dd2578 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:58 pm
I want to tell my friend how they can become legal in Europe by getting married to their Dutch partner, and if a simple marriage ceremony would allow my friend to become a legal resident of either Spain or the Netherlands. I am worried if they present an expired passport with an overstay that will be an issue.