ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Parents of an Irish Child

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

TonyK
Newly Registered

Parents of an Irish Child

Post by TonyK » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:39 pm

Hi
Are there any legal grounds for the parents of an Irish child to reside in the republic of Ireland, based on this fact alone?
Both parents are certified professionals.

Tony

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:31 am

It was possible to apply to reside in Ireland as the parents of an Irish Citizen - due to abuse this policy was discontinued in I believe 2002. I am not sure whether there is a retrospective aspect for parents of children born before the policy was removed but I suspect not based on caselaw where an asylum applicant from Romania was removed despite having an Irish born child. Note that the Irish have this month (June 2004) voted to amend the constitution so that birth in Ireland no longer confers automatic citizenship. A person born in Ireland will now only be an Irish Citizen where either parent is an Irish Citizen or where neither parent is Irish has resided in Ireland for at least 4 years continuously prior to the birth.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:34 am

Note that the Irish have this month (June 2004) voted to amend the constitution so that birth in Ireland no longer confers automatic citizenship. A person born in Ireland will now only be an Irish Citizen where either parent is an Irish Citizen or where neither parent is Irish has resided in Ireland for at least 4 years continuously prior to the birth
Kaya,
I did not realise you followed proceedings in Dublin 8)
Where there is a will there is a way.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:30 pm

Chess wrote:Kaya,
I did not realise you followed proceedings in Dublin
Try to keep up to date with current affairs - I note the change of signature like a previous poster..new image 8) ?