ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Portugal migration

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

TL545
Newly Registered

Portugal migration

Post by TL545 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:20 am

My two parents have wanted to move to Portugal for so long but have always postponed it.

What exactly are the immigration requirements before BREXIT? As far as I'm aware, they need to fly there, rent somewhere for 3 months, then file for permanent residency, is this correct or am I mistaken?

Can they just rent somewhere?

They're looking to move to the Algarve but are worried about the language barrier regarding work etc. since my father has a career of 30 years in the UK and is worried about leaving it for such instability and uncertainty.

Thanks!

travellove
Newly Registered
Malta

Re: Portugal migration

Post by travellove » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:04 am

While EU/EFTA citizens have the right to freely move to Portugal, they must request a registration certificate if they stay for longer than three months. EU citizens can also request a permanent residence certificate after five years.
The situation for UK citizens may change following the UK’s exit from the EU in the coming years; until then, however, UK citizens can enter and remain in Portugal without a visa.