ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Portuguese nationality query

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

CliffP
Newly Registered

Portuguese nationality query

Post by CliffP » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:09 pm

Any advice would be appreciated please:

I live in the UK. My wife wants to apply to register herself and perhaps her children as Portuguese, as her father was born in Goa when it was part of Portugal.

He left Goa for Tanzania before India took back control, never renounced Portugal and always considered himself Portuguese until his death.

After years of trying I finally have documents from Goa and Tanzania about him, including a birth certificate; all translated into Portuguese as well.

Since I first looked at this I think the law has changed.

Would I need to register my late father-in-law before my wife can apply?

What documents would we need to do this?

Can we sort this at the Portuguese Consulate in London, or do we need to travel to Lisbon?

If anyone can point me towards the answers, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

CliffP
Newly Registered

Re: Portuguese nationality query

Post by CliffP » Thu May 03, 2018 1:26 pm

When I first looked at this a few years back there was specific info on the web that a Goan needed a birth certificate and proof they had not fought in Angola to claim Portuguese citizenship.
With descendants also needing their parents’ marriage certificate to apply for themselves.

It literally took years for my family to obtain these documents from Goa and Tanzania and now that they do they’ve been told by a Goan lawyer that they also need a travel document, which is not possible to obtain.

They are going to send the documents to me to try and sort in Europe.

I can't find the same info online anymore, is this because the law has changed?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Also whether I can sort this in London, rather than needing to travel to Lisbon?
Also whether the London Consulate will help me if I cannot speak Portuguese?

Many thanks