ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions about going to University

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

sphoebe
Newly Registered

Questions about going to University

Post by sphoebe » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:49 am

I am going to be going back to school to finish a degree I was working on. I live in America and would like to come to Ireland to finish that degree. Would I need to apply for citizenship to go to a University there? Are there any restrictions or forms that would need to be filled out in order to reside there during my University years? I am married and have 2 small children, so would I be able to bring them with me? Are there any forms that would need to filled out for them? Would it have to be a temporary VISA? Could my family and I reside and work in Ireland while I am attending the University? Please give me all of the information that you can. Thanks,
Susan Colfer

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:27 am

sphoebe wrote:Would I need to apply for citizenship to go to a University there?
No.
sphoebe wrote:Are there any restrictions or forms that would need to be filled out in order to reside there during my University years?
If you are a USC you can travel to Ireland without a student visa. At the Port of Entry you must show the Immigration Officer a letter of admission from the relevant institution, evidence of accomodation and funds to support yourself on the course. The IO will admit you for 3 months. Since you will be in Ireland for longer than 90 days you must seek permission to remain fom the Department of Justice. this must be done seven days after your admission - through the Aliens Registration Office in Dublin or if outside Dublin go to the local police station. The admin process involves filling out forms and submitting photos as well as supporting documents in relation to your entry into Ireland i.e. funds and university letter. You get both a stamp in your ppt and a residence permit issued. I believe you need to go through this process every year.
sphoebe wrote: I am married and have 2 small children, so would I be able to bring them with me?Are there any forms that would need to filled out for them?
Dependents i.e. your spouse and children under 18 can accompany you. You need to include their details in the residence permit process.
sphoebe wrote:Would it have to be a temporary VISA?

Yes - by default student visas are temporary.
sphoebe wrote:Could my family and I reside and work in Ireland while I am attending the University?
You can work for 20 hours during term time and unlimited hours during vacations - you need to apply for the equivalent SSC prior to starting employment for income tax payments. If you are banking on generating a 'high' income from these jobs (usually lower paying service sector) expect dissapointment.

Hope that helps.