ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Residence permit to move to a close relative in Sweden

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bellyhearts
Newly Registered
South Africa

Residence permit to move to a close relative in Sweden

Post by bellyhearts » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi,

My husband and I are planning to move to Sweden via an inter-company transfer from South Africa. We are currently sharing and living in a house with my mother. Would it be possible to bring her to Sweden according to the following link

https://www.migrationsverket.se/English ... ember.html

it states:

If you are a citizen of a non-EU country and want to move to a family member in Sweden, you require a residence permit. You can in special cases receive a residence permit for moving to a close relative in Sweden who is not and will not become your spouse or cohabiting partner. Examples include children over 18 years of age and parents of an adult child living in Sweden. The family member in Sweden must have received a permanent residence permit.

In special cases you can be granted a residence permit to move to another close relative in Sweden with whom you have lived in your home country. For example, if you are over 18 years old and your parents live here.

You should be able to prove that you have lived together immediately before your relative moved to Sweden and that you were socially and emotionally dependent on each other, and that this makes it hard for you to live apart.

The application should be submitted as quickly as possible after your relative moved to Sweden and was granted a permanent residence permit. Generally, it is not possible to receive a residence permit if the application is done a long time afterwards, or if the dependency has been established after your relative moved to Sweden.

I would essentially like to know if anybody has had success with this and if it is a feasible option?

Thank you

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Residence permit to move to a close relative in Sweden

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:27 am

Hello

I am going to tell you just some generalities here but I hope it helps.

Many countries in Europe (also Canada) have some provisions to allow the migration of close relatives including parents.

However, usually the road is difficult. No offense, but older people are perceived as guaranteed liability rather than an asset. The equation is cold: how much this person is going to pay in taxes? How much this person is going to cost us in terms of care/medical bills?

So while it's often legally possible to bring parents, in practice authorities make it as difficult as possible. A friend of mine, in Canada, it took her 7 years and a lot of $$$$$ to eventually secure a residence for her parents.

What the law says is not as important as how the Administration interpret and implement the law. This is what matters really.

If your case is too specific and can't find anything valuable online, see a solicitor. Not any solicitor. Find someone in Sweden who has done that and knows from first hand experience how it works, what are the pitfalls, how long does it take, what kind for representation has to be made... etc. You may need to see 2 or 3 solicitors before finding the right one.

From the page you shared I read:

If you are a citizen of a non-EU country and want to move to a family member in Sweden, you require a residence permit. You can in special cases receive a residence permit for moving to a close relative in Sweden who is not and will not become your spouse or cohabiting partner. Examples include children over 18 years of age and parents of an adult child living in Sweden. The family member in Sweden must have received a permanent residence permit.

It's not an absolute right. It's possible in "special cases". So you have to find out what's hidden behind these words.

All the best!