ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

schengen area HELP NEEDED

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

baba0007
Newly Registered
India

schengen area HELP NEEDED

Post by baba0007 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:05 pm

is there difference between self transfer and connection in flights?

my friend came from Saudia Arabia, he was having connection from dublin to budapest and budapest to saudia arabia
he was going through Ryanair and wizz air, self transfer to wizz airline in budapest, he said immigration makes issue while pass through schengen zone. they asked for transit visa. he was having same stamp 4 with pakistani passport. they hold him 4 hours. he said me to take reentry visa. they ask for it.

DO BUDAPEST AND VIENNNE (AUSTRIA) IMMIGRATION LET US GO THROUGH FROM TRANSIT? I DON'T WANT ANY TROUBLE WITH KIDS

my situations is same
I am travelling in next few weeks from Dublin to Saudia Arabia,

Connection in VIE Vienna while going to Saudia, Can we pass through transit without transit visa? as I have stamp 4 on Pakistani Passport with Irish Kid

Connection in Budapest while coming back to Ireland from Saudia, Can i pass through transit without transit visa?

please let me know,
thanks

meself2
Ireland

Re: schengen area HELP NEEDED

Post by meself2 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:25 pm

baba0007 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:05 pm
is there difference between self transfer and connection in flights?
Self transfer - you fly into the country, leave the transit area, go into the country you've arrived in, register on the next flight, go back into the transit area, get your next flight.
Connection - you fly into the country, stay inside the arrival/departure zone, don't leave the transit area.

As your friend had self transfer, he needed to leave the transit area, which he cannot do without a visa.

If you're flying with the same airline (eg British Airways) or book the flights together on airline websites, not on aggregators, you usually (not always) don't leave the transit area; check with the airline if unsure.
baba0007 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:05 pm
my situations is same
I am travelling in next few weeks from Dublin to Saudia Arabia,

Connection in VIE Vienna while going to Saudia, Can we pass through transit without transit visa? as I have stamp 4 on Pakistani Passport with Irish Kid

Connection in Budapest while coming back to Ireland from Saudia, Can i pass through transit without transit visa?

please let me know,
thanks
You've created numerous topics already. Consult answers given.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

baba0007
Newly Registered
India

Post by baba0007 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:46 pm

One last thing, please, if they ask for transit visa, i have kids with me with Irish passport. is that enough to go through the terminal towards connection?

my going flight is aer lingus, and the change in austria to wizz air line.
if they change the terminal, do they ask for transit visa?
as travelling with irish kids? is that enough or should be any trouble overthere?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:59 pm

baba0007 wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:46 pm
One last thing, please, if they ask for transit visa, i have kids with me with Irish passport. is that enough to go through the terminal towards connection?

my going flight is aer lingus, and the change in austria to wizz air line.
if they change the terminal, do they ask for transit visa?
as travelling with irish kids? is that enough or should be any trouble overthere?
I'm not familiar with Vienna airport, but I looked at the flight you suggest. It states self-transfer, which means you would have to leave the transit area. You cannot do this without a valid Schengen visa. Irish kids give you no right to transit without visa, in your specific situation.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

baba0007
Newly Registered
India

Post by baba0007 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:56 am

I check this on site… please if you can read this 2nd last line

Citizens of Which Countries Need an Airport Transit Schengen Visa?

There are countries citizens who need also an airport transit visa in order to change the aeroplane at an airport in a Schengen Area country.

The list of the countries which are subject to the airport transit visa in the Schengen Area goes as follows:

Afghanistan
Bangladesh
Congo (DRC)
Eritrea
Ethiopia
Ghana
Iran
Iraq
Nigeria
Pakistan
Somalia
Sri Lanka
There are however exceptions regarding the Airport Transit Visa for certain individuals. In the case of the following terms, the nationals of the above-mentioned countries are not obliged to obtain an airport transit visa:

If the person holds a residency permit from a Schengen member country, a valid Schengen Visa for short stays or long stays.
If the person holds a residency permit from countries such as Andorra, Canada, Japan, San Marino, or the USA that guarantees the person’s whereabouts.
If the person holds a valid Schengen visa or a valid visa for entering one of the EFTA countries as well as Canada, Japan, or the United States, even if they are returning from those certain countries after using this visa.
If the person is a family member of an e EU citizen (close family only) (Is THIS APPLY ON ME) I have Irish kids with me.
If the person holds a diplomatic passport.

This is the link

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/who-ne ... ngen-visa/

I have flight tomorrow, i will only catch flight if its 100% otherwise i dont want any issue on airpot. I have schengen visa on my passport but validity date start from 29 march 2023

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:55 am

For what you quoted, this applies to you, as you hold IRP as well:
If the person holds a residency permit from a Schengen member country, a valid Schengen Visa for short stays or long stays.
And yes, you don't need Airport Transit Visa. But Airport Transit Visa is needed for airside transit. As you have self transfer, you need not an exemption from Airport Transit Visa, but Short Stay Visa to leave outside of the transit area, which you don't have.

For example, if you didn't have an IRP or a close family member, just a Pakistani passport, you would need a visa to transit inside the airport even.
Because you have an IRP, you can have connected flights in Schengen area, without leaving the airport.
But for your flight this is not enough. You have to leave the airport transit zone and come back for this transfer. For that you need a valid Schengen visa.

baba0007
Newly Registered
India

Post by baba0007 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:00 am

Dear i quoted this

(If the person is a family member of an e EU citizen (close family only) i mean i have EU Citizen with my children, They are Irish Citizen. children are close family member.

still for self transfer, do they ask for visa or i don't need it?

baba0007
Newly Registered
India

Post by baba0007 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:02 am

this is not exception?

If the person is a family member of an e EU citizen (close family only)

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:07 am

I am not sure how to explain this to you in better terms.

There are two ways you can transit in the airport:
- Connection, which means you do not leave the airport transit area, and
- Self transfer, for which you have to leave the airport transit area.

If you had connection without Irish citizen child or IRP, you would have to get a visa.
If you had connection with Irish child and/or IRP, you would not have to get a visa. This is what you quoted.

But you have self transfer, not connecting flights. That is different.

For self transfer, you have to leave the airport transit zone, pass the immigration control to check in. You cannot do that without a visa. Airport Transit Visa doesn't matter here any more, as you're not having a connection inside the airport, you have to leave the airport and check in again. They cannot let you go out on the territory of Schengen area.

baba0007
Newly Registered
India

Post by baba0007 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:17 am

meself2 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:07 am
I am not sure how to explain this to you in better terms.

There are two ways you can transit in the airport:
- Connection, which means you do not leave the airport transit area, and
- Self transfer, for which you have to leave the airport transit area.

If you had connection without Irish citizen child or IRP, you would have to get a visa.
If you had connection with Irish child and/or IRP, you would not have to get a visa. This is what you quoted.

But you have self transfer, not connecting flights. That is different.

For self transfer, you have to leave the airport transit zone, pass the immigration control to check in. You cannot do that without a visa. Airport Transit Visa doesn't matter here any more, as you're not having a connection inside the airport, you have to leave the airport and check in again. They cannot let you go out on the territory of Schengen area.
This is what my query is, i got your point

my query is, even for self transfer, i will pass through immigration control. the officer won't let us go, i mean this is what i read above in article

i mean i am travelling with my Irish kids, they won't let me pass through the immigration control?

this is the link. this says there exceptions if you are travelling with EU family member. ( This is not enough)?

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:21 am

baba0007 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:17 am
i mean i am travelling with my Irish kids, they won't let me pass through the immigration control?
No. You need a visa.
baba0007 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:17 am
this is the link. this says there exceptions if you are travelling with EU family member. ( This is not enough)?

The link is about Airport Transit Visa.
baba0007 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:56 am
Citizens of Which Countries Need an Airport Transit Schengen Visa?

There are countries citizens who need also an airport transit visa in order to change the aeroplane at an airport in a Schengen Area country.
Airport Transit Visa does not allow you to leave the airport and pass the immigration control, even if granted.
https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/transit-schengen-visa/
An Airport Transit Schengen Visa is a permit designated for travellers that have to change flights at a Schengen airport. It enables them to stop and wait in the international transit area of a Schengen airport for their flight to their destination country.

However, this visa does not permit its holder to leave the international transit area of an airport, even if the traveller has to wait overnight.
So, the exemption from this visa (which you are rigorously quoting) doesn't allow you to pass immigration control. It allows you to do the change if it would be a connecting flight, but not leave the airport, which you have to do here.
Last edited by meself2 on Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:24 am

I'm not in a position to stop you, if you consider yourself able to show you're exempt, but my view is that you'll encounter issues, just as the person you mentioned in the first message.
That's exactly what happened there - he would be able to catch the flight if it would be leaving from departure area, but he had to leave immigration control and come back, as he had self-transfer, which is not something he can do without a visa.

You can, of course, try to ask for visa on the spot for compassionate grounds/etc, as mentioned before, but chances are you won't be granted, and it will be a hassle anyway.