ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen Visa for Non - EU stepchildren

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

jons1
Newly Registered

Schengen Visa from French Consulate

Post by jons1 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Hi

I am going on holiday to France in August with my non-EU wife and her 2 non-EU children (17 and 19) plus our 2 UK children, my wife and stepchildren don't have ILR yet but have settlement visa (Spouse and Child FM visas). We made the appointment for TLS just under 90 days before our holiday and got the earliest appointment 5 weeks later, then went there without france-visa receipt, unfortunately we could not access the France-Visa account to show this as was unable to change the password, so my wife and stepchildren had to leave the TLS and make a new appointment. I don't understand why they actually need this as surely I shouldn't have been able to book an appointment without registering the application on the France-visa site and therefore their applications should be on the system.

Anyhow the next available appointment is 5 weeks from the original appointment and only 7 working days before our holiday. I have managed to change to direct application at the consulate, I am hoping this is quicker. Does anyone know how quick the visa process usually takes from the consulate? I know it says 15 days but I don't want to pay out on the agency fees of £450-500 or so. It's disgraceful they can charge that for visas that should be free and are able to obtain appointments before anyone else whilst everyone else has to wait min 5 weeks. So I am kind of held to ransom as if I don't pay the agency then I will risk losing all the money paid out for the 2 week family holiday for 6 people.

I'd appreciate anyone's help on this.

thanks!

jons1
Newly Registered

Schengen Visa for Non - EU stepchildren

Post by jons1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:09 pm

Hi

Further to my pain in not being able to go through with the schengen application at the TLS contact centre for not having the registration receipt. I have just found out after talking with the TLS recommended Visa Agency, that my stepchildren require consent from their biological father and my wife needs a legal sole custody document. This is something we do not have and after going through the rigmarole and trauma of getting a settlement visa for them which took nearly 5 years this really hits hard. It seems my 2 stepchildren won't be able to travel to France with us on a family holiday which means we will have to cancel the holiday and lose £2k or travel without them which will upset will everyone especially their 2 younger brothers who are UK citizens. I thought once they have the settlement visa as child FM of my wife they would be treated as a family member of an EU citizen (i.e me as an UK citizen) and if we don't get this sole custody will they continue to be discriminated against this until they get their UK citizenship. This seems grossly unfair.

Can anyone help me out on what the actual rules are on this as cannot find anything online?

thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Schengen Visa for Non - EU stepchildren

Post by CR001 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:31 pm

The children are likely adults now and over 18, based on your previous post/topic in 2017.

immigration-for-family-members/visa-ref ... l#p1579408

As they don't hold a EU Family Permit or EEA/EU Residence card as a Family Member of an EU citizen (non British), why not simply apply for a standard schengen tourist visa in their own right and pay for the visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

jons1
Newly Registered

Post by jons1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:54 pm

The youngest is 17 still he is working, the oldest is 19 though not working. They're both not in education yet but hoping they can be in September though also having issues with that at present especially the older one, that's another story. So as the 19 year old is unemployed his visa will likely be rejected. Can the 17 year old apply by himself?

jons1
Newly Registered

Post by jons1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:06 pm

this whole process is very upsetting for our family and again my step children get the brunt of it due to being abandoned by their own Father.

ljdebenedictis
Mood:
Philippines

Post by ljdebenedictis » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:27 am

My mother (who is a naturalised Cypriot citizen / previously Filipino citizen) used to sponsor me even I was over 18, the last time she sponsored me is when I was 23 or 24 and I am now 28.

I’m going to Cyprus in August and my mother was happy to sponsor me for my Cyprus visit visa but I’m now married and hold an EEA family member residence card so there is no need.

I guess you can do the same, just apply for a standard schengen visa and sponsor your stepchildren. Try and book a premium service, you need to pay £60 but will guarantee you an appointment very soon.

I understand the frustration.
I hope it get sorted soon.
xxx

jons1
Newly Registered

Post by jons1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:26 am

I am planning our visit to the Consulate with the hope we can still receive the visas in time as we only got an appointment 8 working days before we leave. Unfortunately the connected agencies did not have any earlier appointments as their websites promote.

I have noticed there are 2 categories on the TLS France website which seem to be the same or similar

Family member of a EU/EEA/Swiss citizen - (Short stay up to 90 days)

Foreign child of an E.U. citizen or his/her spouse Short stay (less than 90 days)

my stepchildren have been categorised under the foreign child of an EU citizen which seems to require a whole lot more documentation. I am confused as to what a sworn statement is and why this is necessary there are 2 different sworn statements

Proof of the financial dependence : sworn statement established and signed by the EU/EEA/Swiss citizen

A sworn statement from the EU family member stating that the applicant is his/her dependent.

Unfortunately TLS do not answer the switchboard anymore and either reply with unhelpful emails or do not return calls when you leave your phone number in the system. I am dreading going to the French consulate especially after seeing some of the reviews online as we don't have sole custody documents, their biological father's passport (he probably doesn't even have one) authorisation letter from their father etc.

If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated.