ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa (Lithuania) - what type?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

mindovertime
Newly Registered

Schengen visa (Lithuania) - what type?

Post by mindovertime » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:12 am

Hi everyone,

I am currently applying for a Lithuanian Schengen visa for a short trip to visit my parents, but am getting really confused about the correct type to apply for. Background: I grew up in Lithuania as a Russian immigrant, had an Indefinite Leave to Remain but lost it when I moved to the UK to study and then work.

My dad has since become a naturalised Lithuanian citizen and mum is still on an indefinite leave to remain - they both still live in Lithuania. I am over 21 years old and still a Russian citizen (hence me needing the visa now that I lost my Lithuanian leave to remain). Both my parents are working and therefore are not financially dependent on me.

I am trying to pick between the general tourist visa and 'visiting close relatives/family members'. The close relatives/family members visa seems a natural fit, but the description on the embassy website says:

You need to apply for the relevant visa type if you enter Lithuania with one of the following purposes:
- Family members of Lithuanian or EU citizens (including EEA and Switzerland), who don’t live in their home country in accordance with EU directive 2004/38

Which doesn't feel right, and when I read the description, it seems to imply children only count if under 21 years old.

But the tourist visa says that it is for:

You need to apply for the relevant visa type if you enter Lithuania with one of the following purposes:
- Tourism
- Private visits (excluding visiting close relatives/family members)

I may be dumb but I can't find a clear definition of who is a close relative or family member for the purposes of this visa. Obviously to me my dad is both a close relative and a family member, but I understand that legally that may not be the case.

Has anyone been in this situation/can anyone help me unpick this? Thanks in advance.