ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa question..

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

souperphly

Schengen visa question..

Post by souperphly » Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:22 pm

Hi,

I am a british citizen, my husband is Thai and currently has a UK family visa (Leave to remain). Once his current Leave to Remain visa expires he can apply for ILR in september. We have been invited to a wedding in Greece in July, and so my husband needs a schengen visa. The problem is, one of the requirements for a Schengen visa is that his current UK visa must be valid for at least 3 months upon his return to the UK. His current Leave to Remain visa expires in September and the wedding is in July. Based on this timeline, he wouldn't be eligible for a Schengen visa as his UK visa will have less than the required 3 months on it when we return from Greece, and as I'm aware he can't apply for his ILR status until 28 days before his current Leave to Remain visa expires.

I hope all this makes sense. Given our situation, is there any way we can get round this, or is the Greece trip in July not possible?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

meself2
Ireland

Re: Schengen visa question..

Post by meself2 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:57 pm

What's your husband's Schengen visa history?
Theoretically, if he has built up his credibility by going to Schengen Zone throughout the years, you can apply to go (and actually go) for a trip before July (eg in May) and get a multi-entry Schengen visa with enough validity to cover the Greece trip.
Example from the Dutch official website (which, as far as I know, applies throughout the Schengen zone):
https://www.netherlandsworldwide.nl/vis ... entry-visa
A multiple-entry visa is valid for 1 year in the following situation:

In the past 2 years, you have been issued with a Schengen visa (not an airport transit visa) 3 times.
You followed the rules for your visa.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

souperphly

Post by souperphly » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:21 pm

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately he doesn't have any Schengen history. This would be his first trip to Europe. So I guess that rules him out of a multi entry Schengen :cry:

meself2
Ireland

Post by meself2 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:31 pm

souperphly wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:22 pm
e wouldn't be eligible for a Schengen visa as his UK visa will have less than the required 3 months on it when we return from Greece
Just checked Greek visa center's website:
https://uk-gr.gvcworld.eu/en/visa-info-tourism
https://uk-gr.gvcworld.eu/sites/default ... 2022_0.pdf
>> U.K. Residence permit
Original, endorsed in the passport or issued as a Biometric card; It must be valid for at least 30 days beyond the
applicant’s intended departure from the Schengen Area
See for yourself if 3 months' validity is actually required.
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

souperphly

Post by souperphly » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:49 pm

Thanks so much for finding that information for me, its very helpful and promising. I will continue to dig around for more info.

Again, thanks a million! :)