ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visa

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

bunvis
Newly Registered

Schengen visa

Post by bunvis » Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:23 pm

Hi I have a Type C EU family member Schengen visa. Can use this visa to travel alone to any other Schengen country . Thanks

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: Schengen visa

Post by Ticktack » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:56 am

bunvis wrote:
Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:23 pm
Hi I have a Type C EU family member Schengen visa. Can use this visa to travel alone to any other Schengen country . Thanks
This would largely depend on the conditions attached to the visa and how it was issued.

When you applied for the visa, did you say that you would be travelling with your EU family?

Has the visa been used to enter into the Schengen area?

How long was the visa issued for?

What country was main destination at the time of visa issuance?
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

bunvis
Newly Registered

Post by bunvis » Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:47 pm

Yes I applied as a family member of eu national to travel together. Duration of the visa is 1 year. so does this mean I need to apply for a new Schengen visa if I travel alone even if I have this valid Schengen EU family member visa.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:06 pm

bunvis wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 5:47 pm
Yes I applied as a family member of eu national to travel together. Duration of the visa is 1 year. so does this mean I need to apply for a new Schengen visa if I travel alone even if I have this valid Schengen EU family member visa.
The guidance isn't spot on in this regards. For your first travel, you definitely have to travel with your EU spouse. After the visa has been activated (used), I guess it then depends on the discretion of the country you're entering.

It's not also clear if you can spend more time in a different Schengen country, than the initial country of visa issuance.
Example: Schengen visa issued by France. Travelled to France for 2 weeks and returned to base.
4 months later, travelled to Portugal and spend 3 weeks.
2 months later, travelled to Spain and spend 1 month.

Because the travels are staggered, it might depend on the borders officers of other Schengen countries.

I guess even they make it up as they go along.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

THO
- thin ice -
Vietnam

Post by THO » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:03 pm

As I understand it, and I looked into it for my wife, you need to re-enter Europe through the country it was issued from. I.e. the country you stated would be the country you were going to spend most time in, and that you entered Europe through. Once in Europe of course, there are no borders so you can travel freely.