ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Schengen visitor visa for Non-EU spouse.

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

BJ1
Newly Registered

Schengen visitor visa for Non-EU spouse.

Post by BJ1 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:24 pm

Hi,

I am seeking some information regarding applying for a Schengen visitor visa for my non-EU wife so we can go on a two week holiday to Spain.

I am a UK citizen and therefore an EU citizen, however my wife is a Chinese national living in the UK on a spouse visa, currently with further leave to remain. She is not currently working. After looking at the Schengenvisainfo.com website, I understand that as the spouse of an EU citizen some of the normal requirements demanded of a non-EU visitor are not necessary, particularly the information regarding her financial status, which instead becomes my responsibility to prove. It goes on to say that in order to do this I need:

" ... to provide a recent (less than 3 months old) Confirmation of Employment letter from their spouse’s employer stating the position held within the company as well as the starting date".

However I am self-employed so am unable to do this. Does anyone have any advice about how I should approach this?

Many thanks.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Re: Schengen visitor visa for Non-EU spouse.

Post by Caravel88 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:35 pm

No – you do not need to provide ANY financial information.
As an EU citizen you can unconditionally travel, visit, and stay in another EU country for 90 days.
When you exercise your right of free movement (which you do by going to Spain), your spouse has the same rights.
Unconditional means no condition on finances.
So no finances.

Just proof of travel, proof of intent to travel together, ID of the EU spouse, ID for non-EU spouse, proof of relationship.
BJ1 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:24 pm
Hi,

I am seeking some information regarding applying for a Schengen visitor visa for my non-EU wife so we can go on a two week holiday to Spain.

I am a UK citizen and therefore an EU citizen, however my wife is a Chinese national living in the UK on a spouse visa, currently with further leave to remain. She is not currently working. After looking at the Schengenvisainfo.com website, I understand that as the spouse of an EU citizen some of the normal requirements demanded of a non-EU visitor are not necessary, particularly the information regarding her financial status, which instead becomes my responsibility to prove. It goes on to say that in order to do this I need:

" ... to provide a recent (less than 3 months old) Confirmation of Employment letter from their spouse’s employer stating the position held within the company as well as the starting date".

However I am self-employed so am unable to do this. Does anyone have any advice about how I should approach this?

Many thanks.

BJ1
Newly Registered

Post by BJ1 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:55 am

Thanks Caravel88 I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Your advice is very helpful. However just a couple of queries: So we need to purchase plane tickets before we apply for a visa? What is 'proof of intent to travel together'?

Thanks again.

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Post by Caravel88 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:25 pm

No problem.

The docs are listed here (scroll below):
https://uk.blsspainvisa.com/london/eea_eu_type_visa.php

Looks like you do need to book the tickets to prove you are travelling together.
Proof of intent can be a letter signed by you stating that you are travelling together, dates, destination, etc.
BJ1 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:55 am
Thanks Caravel88 I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.
Your advice is very helpful. However just a couple of queries: So we need to purchase plane tickets before we apply for a visa? What is 'proof of intent to travel together'?

Thanks again.

BJ1
Newly Registered

Post by BJ1 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:56 pm

Thanks Caravell :)