ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travel to EU with EEA card post-Brexit (unmarried)

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

12rtgfkd
Newly Registered

Travel to EU with EEA card post-Brexit (unmarried)

Post by 12rtgfkd » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:03 pm

Hello,
I am a third-country citizen and I have a EEA Residence Card as an unmarried partner of a EU person since 2018. I also have the new 'EUSS' UK Residence card based on the pre-settled status of my unmarried partner. We both live in UK. We need to travel to France in a few weeks. Do I need a visa for this? I have travelled to Spain this August (2021) with my partner without a visa (they just checked our proof of 'relationship' which was a tenancy agreement) and Brexit was already in force. The trip to France which we are planning is essential, and we cannot find information anywhere about the situation for unmarried family members of EU citizens that reside in the UK and if they can still travel visa-free. Can I still travel to EU member states without a visa if I am accompanying or joining my partner? Please advise.

Bazinga_

Re: Travel to EU with EEA card post-Brexit (unmarried)

Post by Bazinga_ » Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:50 pm

12rtgfkd wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:03 pm
Hello,
I am a third-country citizen and I have a EEA Residence Card as an unmarried partner of a EU person since 2018. I also have the new 'EUSS' UK Residence card based on the pre-settled status of my unmarried partner. We both live in UK. We need to travel to France in a few weeks. Do I need a visa for this? I have travelled to Spain this August (2021) with my partner without a visa (they just checked our proof of 'relationship' which was a tenancy agreement) and Brexit was already in force. The trip to France which we are planning is essential, and we cannot find information anywhere about the situation for unmarried family members of EU citizens that reside in the UK and if they can still travel visa-free. Can I still travel to EU member states without a visa if I am accompanying or joining my partner? Please advise.
Hi, yes you do need a Schengen visa. You were lucky but I guess border agents are still learning the rules. I have seen info out there that you may be exempt though but I have personally checked with the Dutch and Belgium consulate for a simple airport transit and was told I needed a visa.

You can use this checker https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/apply- ... y-checker/