ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Traveling to/from UK-EU from 2021 - how will it work?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Traveling to/from UK-EU from 2021 - how will it work?

Post by 1878 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:39 pm

I tried to search forum but couldn’t find answer. I got settled status applying with my UK permanent biometric residence card (residence card of a family member of a union citizen) which is valid until 2027.

Can I use BRP to enter Europe until 2027?

Traveling from Europe to UK - I need to show my settled status via online website in order to be allowed to through immigration or I can use BRP?

Arriving on UK side I’m assuming it’s enough to show my passport and possible prove status via online website?

secret.simon

Re: Traveling to/from UK-EU from 2021 - how will it work?

Post by secret.simon » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:36 am

1878 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:39 pm
Can I use BRP to enter Europe until 2027?
No. Even though the Settled Status Scheme has "EU" in its name, the Settled Status BRP is issued under domestic UK law and won't be recognised outside the UK. You will need to apply for the relevant visas if you want to travel to the rest of the EU after 31st December 2020.
1878 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:39 pm
Traveling from Europe to UK - I need to show my settled status via online website in order to be allowed to through immigration or I can use BRP?

Arriving on UK side I’m assuming it’s enough to show my passport and possible prove status via online website?
You will need your BRP to board the flight. Airline staff will most likely be using your BRP to check your right to travel to the UK, not the website.

Once you are at the UK border (the airport, but also seaports and the Eurostar terminals), the Immigration Officers will be able to verify your status on their systems directly. However, not having the BRP may cause a delay. The BRP contains your biometrics which allows quicker verification.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Post by 1878 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:54 am

Thanks. I should clarify it’s the UK BRP issued under EEA rules which I received after 5 years residence in 2017, valid for 10 years- it’s not the EUSS BRP I’m referring to. It was this (EEA) BRP I used to apply for settled status with.

Same rules apply?

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:05 am

This links provides a summary of what is required for travel UK>EU post 31.12.2020:

Travelling from the UK to an EU country

Unfortunately there is a misconception that the "EU" Settlement Scheme is under EU regulations - as pointed out it is UK only.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:57 am

The authorities in this country are unable to do anything right. The idea to name the Scheme, the EU Settlement Scheme was ill advised as anything they do.

The problem now with travelling to the EU, is that you may end up being illegally there on Jan 1st.

Imagine the following scenario:

- You are non-EU citizen (visa national)
- You hold an EEA article 10 card delivered in the UK valid to 2022 + you have Settled or Pre-settled status on the HO database.

You then go to visit Germany in December. Well, you get there without visa accompanied by your EEA national.

Now, January, you go to the airport to come back to the UK. The Article 10 card is all what you need to go back to the UK. But, at the border, the German police stop you because you are now illegally present in the country. Most EU countries control people on exit and see if they have the right to be in the country to start with. You may end up with a fine, delays or even an deportation stamp on your passport.

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:32 am

Zerubbabel wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 7:57 am
The authorities in this country are unable to do anything right. The idea to name the Scheme, the EU Settlement Scheme was ill advised as anything they do.
I thought I heard that it was the EU who wanted their name, to help direct all their low educated/skilled EEA citizens to the correct application?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:38 pm

1878 wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:54 am
I should clarify it’s the UK BRP issued under EEA rules which I received after 5 years residence in 2017, valid for 10 years
Ahh, you meant a BRC (Biometric Residence Card) issued under the EEA Regulations. A BRP is issued under the UK Immigration Rules and a completely different kettle of fish.

Thank you, @alterhase58, for that very useful and detailed link.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.