ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Travelling with my french spouse to france with my uk residence card

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Elyane2018
Newly Registered
Mood:
Algeria

Travelling with my french spouse to france with my uk residence card

Post by Elyane2018 » Tue May 05, 2020 1:33 am

Hello guys , please help anyone was in the same setuation as mine

So we travelling to france in 3 weeks time , my wife and kids are french citizens and am an algerian citizen with uk residence card , stating that family member of an eu citizen , I'm 100% that i need a visa to tavel to france , my appointement was booked on 27th to deposit my visa application but due to Covid-19 the TLScontact has closed and cancelled my appointement , just asking anyone manage to travel to france with french spouse without visa , should i risque it and try my luck or just need to hold , as my ferry was booked already from dover to calais .

Please help . Thanks

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Travelling with my french spouse to france with my uk residence card

Post by Zerubbabel » Wed May 06, 2020 8:47 am

As a holder of an EEA card, you may travel to EU countries with your EEA national visa free.

The question remains: your EEA national is French and your intention is to travel to France. So the EEA national could be seen as a French national and not as an EEA national.
Under EU rules, you have the right to travel together with your core family members (non-EU spouse, children, dependent parents or dependent grandparents) to an EU country other than the one you are a national of. If you have moved to another EU country, they can also join you there. These rules also apply to your non-EU registered partner if the country they are travelling to considers registered partnerships as equivalent to marriage.
More here: https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/t ... dex_en.htm

So to travel to France you need a visa.

Leo_one
France

Post by Leo_one » Mon May 11, 2020 5:49 am

Elyane2018 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:33 am
Hello guys , please help anyone was in the same setuation as mine

So we travelling to france in 3 weeks time , my wife and kids are french citizens and am an algerian citizen with uk residence card , stating that family member of an eu citizen , I'm 100% that i need a visa to tavel to france , my appointement was booked on 27th to deposit my visa application but due to Covid-19 the TLScontact has closed and cancelled my appointement , just asking anyone manage to travel to france with french spouse without visa , should i risque it and try my luck or just need to hold , as my ferry was booked already from dover to calais .

Please help . Thanks
Hi As per law yes you are right you need visa but when you go by Eurostar or ferry they don't bother. I am French national and settled in UK last 15 years my non EU national wife also have same card (EU family member) for 5 years and she had travelled with me 3 times by Eurostar and ferry even they checked and stamped the passport but they didn't say anything. This is what happened with us try your luck. Otherwise you have option go Brussels by Eurostar and then get any train to Paris or other city because between there no any border.

obormot
Member of Standing
France

Post by obormot » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:16 pm

As far as I remember the rules, you actually can accompany french citizen family member to France without visa, if this French citizen is resident in another EU country, not France (for example, if they are UK resident).
The country X law applies if your family member is citizen of country X and resides there. If they moved abroad, and are exercising treaty right in another EU country Y, then country X treats their family according to EU law.
However, my memory is that you need EU residence card for that (i.e. one issued under EU regulations). If you have UK residence card issued under UK immigration regulations, then I think you do need visa.