ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

(US Citizen) Entering Austria on job seeker permit with intention to marry girlfriend

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dkziemann
Newly Registered
Mood:
United States of America

(US Citizen) Entering Austria on job seeker permit with intention to marry girlfriend

Post by dkziemann » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 pm

Hi all,

I'm a US Citizen planning on moving to Austria in June, with the intention of marrying my girlfriend and settling in the EU. I know I can enter the EU for 90 days, however from the time I move until the time we get married will most likely exceed this 90 day period. We are looking to get married about 4 months after I move. Thus, I'm looking for a permit that will allow me to stay for 6 months to provide a buffer soon from moving > marriage > applying for a residency permit.

I qualify for the job seekers permit (Master's degree, 6 years of college teaching experience, publications) and also the artist visa (I'm a musician), and am thinking of applying for either one. Of course, I'm not seeking out a job explicitly; just looking to extend my stay past the 90 days until we get married. At that point my girlfriend will sponsor me and when we apply for my change in status.

I'm worried the Austrian government might frown on this, and of course I don't want to do anything dubious. I also am worried about what would happen if the visa is denied initially. I'm not looking to game the system at all, just trying to buy us a bit extra time until we get married (sometime at the end of the summer). I'm not aware of any other possibilities. Currently I am a university professor, but otherwise am a freelance musician, author, and online teacher. I have plenty of money saved for the move and stable income even after I move to Austria (basically, proof to show I won't leach social services as soon as I move).

Will the government raise any red flags if they see me enter on this permit and then apply for a change in status? Is there a better way to do this legally without running into any issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated; many thanks everyone!

Caravel88
Member of Standing
Mood:
Spain

Re: (US Citizen) Entering Austria on job seeker permit with intention to marry girlfriend

Post by Caravel88 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:49 pm

You can get a artist visa and genuinely use it whilst fixing the arrangements to get married.
It is legit.

If your relationship is for reals they can't frown, you would become the spouse and have the right to be with your spouse.
dkziemann wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:37 pm
Hi all,

I'm a US Citizen planning on moving to Austria in June, with the intention of marrying my girlfriend and settling in the EU. I know I can enter the EU for 90 days, however from the time I move until the time we get married will most likely exceed this 90 day period. We are looking to get married about 4 months after I move. Thus, I'm looking for a permit that will allow me to stay for 6 months to provide a buffer soon from moving > marriage > applying for a residency permit.

I qualify for the job seekers permit (Master's degree, 6 years of college teaching experience, publications) and also the artist visa (I'm a musician), and am thinking of applying for either one. Of course, I'm not seeking out a job explicitly; just looking to extend my stay past the 90 days until we get married. At that point my girlfriend will sponsor me and when we apply for my change in status.

I'm worried the Austrian government might frown on this, and of course I don't want to do anything dubious. I also am worried about what would happen if the visa is denied initially. I'm not looking to game the system at all, just trying to buy us a bit extra time until we get married (sometime at the end of the summer). I'm not aware of any other possibilities. Currently I am a university professor, but otherwise am a freelance musician, author, and online teacher. I have plenty of money saved for the move and stable income even after I move to Austria (basically, proof to show I won't leach social services as soon as I move).

Will the government raise any red flags if they see me enter on this permit and then apply for a change in status? Is there a better way to do this legally without running into any issue?

Any help is greatly appreciated; many thanks everyone!