Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

Visa for Indian citizen in Germany

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Post Reply
Newly Registered
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Visa for Indian citizen in Germany

Post by Madixx » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:08 pm

I'm German, living in Spain. My permanent residence is in Spain but I have a German passport. My boyfriend is Indian and is planing to go to Berlin to live there. We are trying a find the best way for apply for a visa for him to stay and work in Germany, even if I don't live in the country. What is the best way to do it in a situation like this?

User avatar
Respected Guru
Posts: 770
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:13 am

Re: Visa for Indian citizen in Germany

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:30 pm


You can't do anything.

The fact that you have a German passport doesn't give you any right to remotely send your friends to settle in Germany.

However, if you go an live in Germany, this can open immigration routes for you to sponsor your partner under German laws (not EU laws). But nothing can happen while you live in Spain.

Posts: 7200
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: Visa for Indian citizen in Germany

Post by secret.simon » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:02 pm

Do you want him to have a right to reside in Germany which is dependent on you or independent of you?

If it is dependent, it will be expected that the two of you live together. He can join you in Spain under EU law (assuming that you can demonstrate that the two of you are in a durable relationship-generally meaning that the two of you have been in a relationship akin to marriage for at least a few years), and then after a few months to a few years, the two of you can return to Germany and continue the residence together.

If the idea is that he has an independent right to reside, then he can apply for the appropriate work or student visa that he is eligible for.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Post Reply