ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

whats the best way to stay an EU citzen after brexit?

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

smallville1979
Newly Registered

whats the best way to stay an EU citzen after brexit?

Post by smallville1979 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:57 am

I am from the UK am confused about the whole thing?

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: whats the best way to stay an EU citzen after brexit?

Post by Zerubbabel » Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:49 am

After the Brexit, you are no longer an EU citizen.

If you go to any EU country, you will not get more rights than an US or a Canadian citizen. You will still get there visa free, but that's it.

Try to see if you can't obtain any EU citizenship. Sometimes it may work by ancestry. A friend of mine just go an Irish citizenship by digging into his family tree.

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:58 am

smallville1979 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:57 am
It should be pointed out that there is no such status as "EU Citizen" - it is rather "Citizen of an EU country" - citizenship laws have always been with the member states. So as suggested you may wish to look at your ancestry.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:22 am

alterhase58 wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:58 am
It should be pointed out that there is no such status as "EU Citizen"
Actually, there is, though it is currently limited to qualifying citizens of EU member-states. But EU citizenship is in addition to the national citizenship. Indeed, that is the whole basis of the Surinder Singh route, where EU citizens should not be impeded in any way by their movements within the EU by restrictions being placed on their family members, and of the Zambrano route, where EU citizens who are children should not be impeded from living in the EU by restrictions being placed on their non-EU parents/carers. Almost all the jurisprudence of the ECJ affecting freedom of movement is based on the rights of EU citizens enshrined in the EU treaties.

Reverting back to the OP's question, the EU citizenship rights of British citizens already ended on 31st January 2020, when the UK left the EU. British citizens have similar (quasi - as if) rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, but they are no longer EU citizens.

In order to reacquire EU citizenship, you would need to acquire the citizenship of another EU member-state, by following the nationality laws of that country. Some countries allow citizenship by marriage (Italy and Portugal, for example), some by investment (eg, Malta and Cyprus), some by ancestry, while others will require you to move there, live there and eventually acquire their citizenship and thus EU citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Alice109
Newly Registered
Italy

Post by Alice109 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:41 pm

smallville1979 wrote:
It depends what you want to do, you still have time to move to a EU country like Ireland and apply for residence, applications made before the end of the year should count for the 5 years towards permanent residence. You can see if you can apply for a EU passport depending on ancestry.

Barovian
Newly Registered
Portugal

Post by Barovian » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:23 am

What A ton of British are doing is moving to Portugal before 1 January, while they still are EU Citizens. As EU they register in Portugal as residents and stay there for 5 years until they can apply for citizenship.

Before 2021 you just need to move and register at the city hall where you choose to live, you need some money and a few things, but will be way simples than after Brexit.

no-name
Newly Registered
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by no-name » Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:39 am

Barovian wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:23 am
What A ton of British are doing is moving to Portugal before 1 January, while they still are EU Citizens. As EU they register in Portugal as residents and stay there for 5 years until they can apply for citizenship.

Before 2021 you just need to move and register at the city hall where you choose to live, you need some money and a few things, but will be way simples than after Brexit.
please could you explain bit more like how much money you need and other few things. how to register please thanks.

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Post by Zerubbabel » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:59 pm

no-name wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:39 am
Barovian wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:23 am

please could you explain bit more like how much money you need and other few things. how to register please thanks.
Go to any EU country of your liking. Then in quick succession:

- Rent a flat and get a contract signed (that's the slowest step)
- Get money on your bank account to apply as self sufficient (how much depends on the country and how many dependent are with you)
- Take your passport, marriage certificate (new one), EHIC card... etc.

Apply through a solicitor not on your own because if you make any mistake and get rejected, it will be too late to apply again.

seekingadvice87

Post by seekingadvice87 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:33 am

smallville1979 wrote:
Hi, no need to rush unless want another eu country apart from ireland. as british can continue to live work study settle in ireland even after brexit so if can't make another eu country before brexit then best choice for you is ireland. stay there for about 5 years and get irish citizenship that way you eu citizen again through ireland. ireland close to home than portugal or other eu country plus if you dont have time to plan before 31 december then take your time and move to ireland