ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

advise about UP visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Celso
Newly Registered

advise about UP visa

Post by Celso » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:14 pm

Hi I'm a brazilian guy living in Portugal for 5 years. Here I met my partner, who's from Wales, and we've been living together here for just over two years. During this time he's been very supportive with my career (as a dancer) and having to follow me every time my contract demands that I relocate to another town. They were two difficult years for him even though he doesn't say so. Now that I have finished my dancing career I have now made my decision to do something that will allow my partner to develope his career back in the UK as here in Portugal the opportunities are very limited. Therefore we decided that we would like to live as a couple in the UK. I have a Portuguese resident card but I doubt whether this will benefit my visa application. As our initial intentions was to reside in Portugal and not the UK we didn't think to collect things that would prove that we were living together as a couple and therfore provide the necessary evidence required in obtain the Up visa. The only items we have to hand at the moment are a large array of pictures but only two which include dates from 2003.we also have letters from the bank showing the same address, last years contract of house rental, loads of emailsfrom the begining of this year when I was working on a cruise ship and unfortunately nothing else. I'd like to know as well if it is possible to switch from a visitor visa to a UP visa as my partner wishes to return to the UK as soon as possible in order to start work as at present we are just wasting time here as neither of us are currently in employment and have no intention of seeking work now that we had made our decision to leave Portugal. It would now be beneficial to my partner to return to the UKasap in order to secure a house and a job as I aware that I will be anable to work for some time in the UK. I have visited the UK for many times as a student and for my work as a dancer over the past 11 years and have never falterd on my visa. Any information and advise would be very much appreciated at this time as we are unsure which direction we should be going at present.
Thank you.
Celso.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:38 pm

Celso,

I hope this will point you out in the right direction.

To come to the UK as the unmarried partner of a person present and settled in the UK (which your partner would have to be), you would have to apply for an entry clearance from either Brazil, or Portugal, as you are a legal resident there.

Youd have to satisfy the HO that you guys have been living together for the 2 years, and intend to continue doing so. Then, if the EC is approved, you can come, and after a further 2 years, you can apply for settlement (permanent residency).

However, from 5 Dec onwards, you will be able to, instead of applying under the unmarried partner category, apply under the civil partnership act, which will give you the same status as married people. The differece is that after 3 years as the civil partner of a British person, you will be able to naturalise British, instead of having to wait the 5 years under the unmarried partner category.

Here's the ropes:

1. The Home Office unmarried partner website

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/ind/en ... tners.html

2. The form you will have to fill in and submit to the British Mission in Portugal with the accompanying supporting docummentation

http://www.fco.gov.uk/Files/kfile/VAF2,3.pdf

3. The list of documents you would have to provide as Unmarried Partners, plus some other questions you may have are located in

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 8721067257

4. Civil Partnership Act - from 5 Dec 05 - you will be able to register for the civil partnership act, and apply for an entry clearance from portugal with a view to register as partners in the UK. This has the advantage that after 3 yrs with your British partner you can apply for naturalisation, as opposed to applying as unmarried partners, in which case youd have to wait 5 years.

5. Contact Details in Lisbon

consular@lisbon.mail.fco.gov.uk

Public Opening Hours
Monday to Thursday
09:30 - 11:30
15:00 - 16:30
Friday
09:30 - 12:30
closed on the afternoon

British Embassy
Consular Section
Rua de S?o Bernardo 33
1249-082 Lisboa
Tel: +351 21 392 40 00
Fax: +351 21 392 41 53

Maybe someone else has more information, or comments.

Best of luck to you and your partner.

Rogerio

Celso
Newly Registered

Thank you so much

Post by Celso » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:18 am

Hi Rogerio,
Thank you so much for all the information that you gave me. It's so good to see that are people like you who care about others. I hope after my experience with all this (and the stress), I could help other people in the same situation.
You are an Angel.
Thank you.
Celso.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:25 am

Hi Celso,

I have been helped a lot on here, and in life in general. It's good to give a little back. The people on this forum are great, the moderators are extremely knowlegeable and extremely helpful.

I am also Brazilian (British also now), and have sponsored my Brazilian partner under the unmarried partner scheme, and have recently applied for his permanent resident status (called Indefinete Leave to Remain).

If you need further help, pls email me on brzuk@hotmail.com

I am writing in English so that all posters can understand the exchange.

All the best and let us know how you get on.

Rogerio