ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Biometric Residence Permit Renew

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Lowblow
Newly Registered
Mauritius

Biometric Residence Permit Renew

Post by Lowblow » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:16 pm

Dear All,

I recently posted about refusal of British citizenship due to good character - overstaying.

I have a follow up question. My BRP expired mid April and I have a holiday returning early April and I am concerned if anything happenens whiles I am abroad and the BRP expires it may take long and inconvenience me a lot.

Would you know how long it takes to renew the ILR BRP so that I can do so before my holiday mid March?

Ta

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Biometric Residence Permit Renew

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:11 pm

Refer to https://visas-immigration.service.gov.u ... 1635257670

I have seen recommendations to apply six months before expiry date of the card.
You may/will have issues presenting an expired card when trying to board.
Note your ILR as such doesn't expire,it's the card.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

orionsbelt1
Newly Registered

Post by orionsbelt1 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:10 pm

Our experience for BRP Renewal in UK from January 2022
I have written this to try to help others going through this same process.
We are in the process of renewing my wife's ILR 10 year BRP which is due for renewal in Early April 2022. Please note that we were one of the early ILR applicants in 2012 to receive a BRP instead of a Visa Vignettes stamp in her passport.
You must understand that the UKVI regard your BRP as 'VISA' its not just a bit of plastic like a UK Driving licence for over 70s that must be renewed every 3 years.
Therefore the UKVI regard your BRP application as a VISA Application
The BRP is the only document that actually states your immigration Status such as Settlement, Indefinite Leave to Remain.
1 When you search the internet you will not find a page ''How to renew my BRP''' If you are lucky you will find replacement BRP service. go to that link and follow instructions. Note you can commence the process 3 months before your BRP is due to expire.
2 You need to follow the link for 'Update, replace or transfer your biometric residence permit (BRP)'
3 Find the APPLY NOW button at the end of the document. and follow instructions.
Set up account and you will be asked to verify your E mail.
4 Complete the application and pay the £75.20 for single applicant. You will receive and E Mail confirming your application.
5 Welcome to UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services In that E Mail you will be directed you www.ukvcas.co.uk/register .. which will direct you to:-
UKVCAS Follow instructions you will then have input access code.
6 Welcome to UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS). UKVCAS is the name of the service run by Sopra Steria on behalf of UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) and forms a key part of your visa or citizenship application process.
They will tell you what to do next
7 You will then receives additional e mails telling you about the process and then how to apply for an appointment or if you can use the new IDV app. We could not and had to apply for appointment.
8 Applying for appointment - Slow dawn and Take care. Do NOT RUSH and really UNDERSTAND Each question.
- Only the applicant is allowed to enter the service point
- at first we were directed to pay only appoints, search around try different centres for free appointments. If you are in a hurry apply for premium appalment however I am not sure what this will do for you. You can ask to have a '''carer''' to come with you is you are scared of what will happen.
- Use the document checking and SMS services for £47 extra
Submit your application and pay for extras
9 You will receive an email
'Thank you for booking your UKVCAS appointment - attached is your appointment confirmation (QR code). Below is a copy of your VAT registered invoice.
10 You will be told what supporting information is required. And how to submit it.
(I suggest you keep all documentation relating to you life for the past and next 10 years, P60. bank, council tax Remember all the documents required when you applied for ILR!)
Documents for my Wife. We had to submit 10 years of P60, 10 years of council tax, copies of old passports, consent letters, Copy of BRP. Around 40 documents in total to be scanned. Additionally I sent a document showing the total time out of the UK. The documents can be scanned at the service centre but it will cost you.
I had chosen to use the Document checking service which was great and they E Mailed to say that all was ok and we did not have to send any further documents.
11 We then received an E Mail telling us all our documentation was:
No action required: Following a review of supporting documents available, we can confirm that:
• Mandatory documents are present in all required categories
• All documents are legible
• All documents have been uploaded to the correct category
• There are no obvious missing pages in any of the documents
• All documents are in either English or Welsh language, or are accompanied with an English or Welsh translation that obviously relates to the original
This was great news, so suggest you use the documentation checking service.
12 A Couple of days before our appointment we were sent an E mail telling us whet to do on the day
13 When we arrived at the service centre only my wife was allowed in. The Staff were understanding, very helpful, talking to relax her , well done them. very helpful.
14 We then received ab E Mail
''We are delighted to confirm that the supporting information for your visa application has been submitted to UKVI''.
And a text with a phone number.
Note as I said before the UKVI regard your BRP as a VISA so it will then be subject to all the normal processing times.
15 So now we wait and I will follow up with any updates, I hope this helps.
Please note I will not respond to any further questions, I have done my best to record what has happened to us to help you all. This whole process is crazy and unnecessary and has causedus massive stress and upset.
Warm regards and good luck ***

orionsbelt1
Newly Registered

Post by orionsbelt1 » Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:29 pm

Sorry I forgot to say they did the biometrics at the appointment

thermalboyz

Post by thermalboyz » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:55 am

orionsbelt1 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:29 pm
Sorry I forgot to say they did the biometrics at the appointment
thank you for your detailed instructions. I am about to renew mine as well and found this post which helps me on my applications. Thank again for the effort, please if possible share some update regarding how many years of the new BRP will be given? My BRP was 10 years so i assume the renewal will be the same too?

dandm

Post by dandm » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:07 pm

orionsbelt1 wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:10 pm
We are in the process of renewing my wife's ILR 10 year BRP which is due for renewal in Early April 2022. Please note that we were one of the early ILR applicants in 2012 to receive a BRP instead of a Visa Vignettes stamp in her passport.
You must understand that the UKVI regard your BRP as 'VISA' its not just a bit of plastic like a UK Driving licence for over 70s that must be renewed every 3 years.
The BRP is the only document that actually states your immigration Status such as Settlement, Indefinite Leave to Remain.
1 When you search the internet you will not find a page ''How to renew my BRP''' If you are lucky you will find replacement BRP service. go to that link and follow instructions. Note you can commence the process 3 months before your BRP is due to expire.
2 You need to follow the link for 'Update, replace or transfer your biometric residence permit (BRP)'
3 Find the APPLY NOW button at the end of the document. and follow instructions.
4 Complete the application and pay the £75.20 for single applicant. You will receive and E Mail confirming your application.
5 Welcome to UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services In that E Mail you will be directed you www.ukvcas.co.uk/register .. which will direct you to:-
6 Welcome to UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS). UKVCAS is the name of the service run by Sopra Steria on behalf of UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) and forms a key part of your visa or citizenship application process.
7 You will then receives additional e mails telling you about the process and then how to apply for an appointment or if you can use the new IDV app. We could not and had to apply for appointment.
8 Applying for appointment - Slow dawn and Take care. Do NOT RUSH and really UNDERSTAND Each question.
- at first we were directed to pay only appoints, search around try different centres for free appointments. If you are in a hurry apply for premium appalment however I am not sure what this will do for you. You can ask to have a '''carer''' to come with you is you are scared of what will happen.
'Thank you for booking your UKVCAS appointment - attached is your appointment confirmation (QR code). Below is a copy of your VAT registered invoice.
10 You will be told what supporting information is required. And how to submit it.
(I suggest you keep all documentation relating to you life for the past and next 10 years, P60. bank, council tax Remember all the documents required when you applied for ILR!)
Documents for my Wife. We had to submit 10 years of P60, 10 years of council tax, copies of old passports, consent letters, Copy of BRP. Around 40 documents in total to be scanned. Additionally I sent a document showing the total time out of the UK. The documents can be scanned at the service centre but it will cost you.
I had chosen to use the Document checking service which was great and they E Mailed to say that all was ok and we did not have to send any further documents.
No action required: Following a review of supporting documents available, we can confirm that:
• All documents are in either English or Welsh language, or are accompanied with an English or Welsh translation that obviously relates to the original
12 A Couple of days before our appointment we were sent an E mail telling us whet to do on the day
13 When we arrived at the service centre only my wife was allowed in. The Staff were understanding, very helpful, talking to relax her , well done them. very helpful.
''We are delighted to confirm that the supporting information for your visa application has been submitted to UKVI''.
Note as I said before the UKVI regard your BRP as a VISA so it will then be subject to all the normal processing times.
Please note I will not respond to any further questions, I have done my best to record what has happened to us to help you all. This whole process is crazy and unnecessary and has causedus massive stress and upset.
Thanks for this, it’s very hard to find any info. Could you please share the list of acceptable documents for proving continuous residence? I have been keeping my council tax bills and utility bills but don’t have much else (aside from bank statements). It’s been hard to compile even this as nobody wants to send original paper bills anymore.

orionsbelt1
Newly Registered

Post by orionsbelt1 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:08 am

Thank you for your questions.
Re documents we used her P60s to prove 11 years work (we scaned each year ), and council tax bill for 11 years. I also have utility bills but did not need to submit them. Also I sent a summary of all her absence from UK for 10 years plus scans of her old passports. IN addition I also paid for the document checking service.
Her origional BRP was for 10 years starting in April 2012 and ending in April 2022, I hope her new BRP will be for 10 years, but dont actually know what they will issue......Also note you can apply 3 monthe before your BRP espires.
We have not had any further communications from UKVI since they acknolage receiving her documents.
When I have any more information I will share it with you.
Warm regards
Orionsbelt 1 ***

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:33 am

dandm wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:07 pm

Thanks for this, it’s very hard to find any info. Could you please share the list of acceptable documents for proving continuous residence? I have been keeping my council tax bills and utility bills but don’t have much else (aside from bank statements). It’s been hard to compile even this as nobody wants to send original paper bills anymore.
Not only paperbill but also electronic or downloaded copies of documents are acceptable.

dandm

Post by dandm » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:34 am

orionsbelt1 wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:08 am
Thank you for your questions.
Re documents we used her P60s to prove 11 years work (we scaned each year ), and council tax bill for 11 years. I also have utility bills but did not need to submit them. Also I sent a summary of all her absence from UK for 10 years plus scans of her old passports. IN addition I also paid for the document checking service.
Her origional BRP was for 10 years starting in April 2012 and ending in April 2022, I hope her new BRP will be for 10 years, but dont actually know what they will issue......Also note you can apply 3 monthe before your BRP espires.
We have not had any further communications from UKVI since they acknolage receiving her documents.
When I have any more information I will share it with you.
Warm regards
Orionsbelt 1 ***
Thank you very much for kindly sharing these extra details. I hope the wait for your wife’s BRP is not too long.

dandm

Post by dandm » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:34 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:33 am
dandm wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:07 pm

Not only paperbill but also electronic or downloaded copies of documents are acceptable.
That’s great to know. Thank you!

Aalca
Newly Registered

Post by Aalca » Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:55 am

orionsbelt1 wrote:

Amazing, thanks for sharing your experience. Have you received your BRP back yet? I have submitted an application 2 days ago but I have an overseas conference this May and trip back home this July. I’m a little worried as I have heard that this renewal can take up to 6 months even if UKVI says 8 weeks in their website.

orionsbelt1
Newly Registered

Post by orionsbelt1 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:57 am

Dear Aalka
Thank you for your response.
Unfortunately at this time we have no more information to add except that I have seen web pages that say 8 weeks to issue BRP from submission of documents.
However a letter to my MP while acknowledge by her failed to get a response from the Home Office.
Given the current problems with the processing any applications from those desperate people from the Ukraine, I really doubt that UKVI can cope with even routine processing let alone the emergency work now required.
The UKVI and Home Office require a massive shake up and reorganisation to make it more effective and efficient. I totally fail to understand why this 10year BRP renewal process is required. UKVI have history and records and data going back 16 years for my wife so why is all this necessary.
There is a lot more I want to say but unfortunately this is not the time or place to say it YET.

Aalca
Newly Registered

Post by Aalca » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:56 pm

orionsbelt1 wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:57 am
Dear Aalka
Thank you for your response.
Unfortunately at this time we have no more information to add except that I have seen web pages that say 8 weeks to issue BRP from submission of documents.
However a letter to my MP while acknowledge by her failed to get a response from the Home Office.
Given the current problems with the processing any applications from those desperate people from the Ukraine, I really doubt that UKVI can cope with even routine processing let alone the emergency work now required.
The UKVI and Home Office require a massive shake up and reorganisation to make it more effective and efficient. I totally fail to understand why this 10year BRP renewal process is required. UKVI have history and records and data going back 16 years for my wife so why is all this necessary.
There is a lot more I want to say but unfortunately this is not the time or place to say it YET.
So sad. I feel that this process of waiting for BRP is just depriving us our precious time and loads of opportunities. This could’ve been a straightforward process - but apparently it isn’t. Keep up updated of your renewal please so we can have a rough estimate of waiting times. Thanks!

feigoronin

Post by feigoronin » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:19 am

Hi, please keep us posted on your outcome. Mine is expiring in April too, I submitted my biometrics on 25th Feb. There isn’t anywhere we can track the progress of application. So frustrating.

Regards

Rv18
Newly Registered

Post by Rv18 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:49 pm

Hope this helps,
I submitted my biometrics on the 2nd of march
And received an email today saying that my replacement brp has been successful.
I wasnt expecting a decision before 8 weeks.
Surprisingly took only 5 weeks .
Hope u get urs soon

prasad9099
Newly Registered
India

Post by prasad9099 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:23 pm

orionsbelt1 wrote:
Thank you very much for such a detailed info.

I am about to apply renewal of my Mrs BRP (expiry Aug 2022, issued 2012). Just worried about the supporting documents. I only have her bank statements. will that be enough? She was not working hence no P60 or others. got her bank statements since 2015, few GP appointment letters since 2012. We got her original ILR approved letter and her current BRP card with her 2 passports (1 is expired). From the homeoffice list I am planning to submit the following

1. 2 passport (with all travel dates)
2. NHS letters (from 2013 - 2015)
3. Bank statements (since 2015)
4. 2 consent letter forms from the Homeoffice site
5. current BRP.

Would these be enough please?

Also the two years absence, that is only counted if it is a continuous period of 2 years? She was away after pregnancy/delivery for 11 months and last year for 6 months due to covid lockdown and others. But we calculate the total absences in these 10 years it will be more than 2 years(but not continuous though). Will that be an issue please?

Finally, for the appointment could I join her, or is it only she can go in? Will there be an option that I can join her?

Appreciate your valid comments which will be a great help.

Thanks

orionsbelt1
Newly Registered

Post by orionsbelt1 » Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:38 am

As of today we still have not had any further notifications, its now 8 weeks, and as her current BRP has expired she is now trapped in the uk.

Re prasad9099
I suggest that the only way is to check all your documents is to use the document checking service that will cost £45. Only they can say whats correct or not. I found it very re assuring that they said thet her documents were all correct and that no further documents were required.

Also re the absence periods only they can say what is acceptable. I submitted a spread sheet showing each year and the days absense for that year and then the total, so make it easy for them.

Re attending with her that is not allowed unless she has '''Special needs'''', the application form? has a section asking this. I was not allowed access with her, however the staff at the centre were very good.

The process is not not good and the fact that they do not update you on the progress is horrid

Best of luck ***

prasad9099
Newly Registered
India

Post by prasad9099 » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:34 pm

Thanks a lot for the reply :) . I have submitted the application and received email saying wait until receive the next email to see if I can use the app or service centre. Is this a new procedure. I have submitted the application on the 11 Aril. Still no email received. May be Easter holidays and so. If no email this week, where should I contact though please? Any help in these please?

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:25 pm

prasad9099 wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:34 pm
Thanks a lot for the reply :) . I have submitted the application and received email saying wait until receive the next email to see if I can use the app or service centre. Is this a new procedure. I have submitted the application on the 11 Aril. Still no email received. May be Easter holidays and so. If no email this week, where should I contact though please? Any help in these please?
You will need to wait till you are contacted which one to use. Contacting them on this does not appear to make it faster.

prasad9099
Newly Registered
India

Post by prasad9099 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:57 pm

Thanks a lot

prasad9099
Newly Registered
India

Post by prasad9099 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:29 pm

Received the email today evening asking to book service points. No idea app.
1. I have checked for free appointments, but all are showing as 132 pounds for standard service and 232 for premium. What does premium benefit please?

2. Can I book the slot now and upload the documents later?

3. If I pay for the document checking service, how does it work? Should I have to takeall the documents hardcopy to somewhere, or they will check the documents once everything is uploaded?

4. They were asking mandatory documents proof of address, evidence of continous residency. I have collected the last 15 years GP records, will that be enough for this? Else I have 10 years bank statements, but how to upload those as it exceeds 6mb.

5. Is it a must to upload optional documents please?

Please could somebody help with these?

@orionsbelt1 - Have you got your brp yet?

prasad9099
Newly Registered
India

Post by prasad9099 » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:29 pm

Received the email today evening asking to book service points. No idea app.
1. I have checked for free appointments, but all are showing as 132 pounds for standard service and 232 for premium. What does premium benefit please?

2. Can I book the slot now and upload the documents later?

3. If I pay for the document checking service, how does it work? Should I have to takeall the documents hardcopy to somewhere, or they will check the documents once everything is uploaded?

4. They were asking mandatory documents proof of address, evidence of continous residency. I have collected the last 15 years GP records, will that be enough for this? Else I have 10 years bank statements, but how to upload those as it exceeds 6mb.

5. Is it a must to upload optional documents please?

Please could somebody help with these?

@orionsbelt1 - Have you got your brp yet?

prasad9099
Newly Registered
India

Post by prasad9099 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:00 pm

Also, will the biometrics be taken on the appointment date?
Please could someone explain what happens in the appointment, like the questions asked and how long etc please. Sorry for asking these as I don't think they will let me join with my Mrs. So will give her a rough idea about the appointment.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:06 pm

prasad9099 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:00 pm
Also, will the biometrics be taken on the appointment date?
Please could someone explain what happens in the appointment, like the questions asked and how long etc please. Sorry for asking these as I don't think they will let me join with my Mrs. So will give her a rough idea about the appointment.
The appointment is not for an interview. Its only to take picture and fingerprint and that's what biometrics mean.

prasad9099
Newly Registered
India

Post by prasad9099 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:00 am

Thank you so much @ AmazonianX :D