ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

BNO Visa Professional Sportpersons

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Jayden_2016
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

BNO Visa Professional Sportpersons

Post by Jayden_2016 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:37 pm

Hi there,

I am currently holding a British National (Overseas) visa [BNO Visa] that restricted me not to work as a Professional Sportpersons / Sports Coach.

My son (8 yrs old) was joined a junior football team to play for fun only. However, the junior team manager asked me to be a volunteer (unpaid) of their junior team which help them to contact other parents, referee, opposite team coach to confirm the upcoming fixtures of their District Junior Football League. I have been asked to take certain courses for this role (e.g. First-aid, Safeguarding...etc) and done the DBS check for registered me in the FA.

In this regard, I have expressed my concern it may breach my Visa conditions.

Does anyone know whether I may breach my Visa coniditions as I won't involve any coaching activities in any capacity?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards
Jayden

meself2
Ireland

Re: BNO Visa Professional Sportpersons

Post by meself2 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:09 am

here's the relevant paragraph (taken from @manci):
manci wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:59 pm
Professional Sportsperson” means a person who is one or more of the following:
(a) currently providing services as a sportsperson, or is playing or coaching in any capacity, at a professional or semi-professional level of sport (whether paid or unpaid); or
(b) currently receiving payment, including payment in kind, for playing or coaching, and that payment covers all, or the majority of, their costs for travelling to, and living in, the UK, or has received such payment within the previous 4 years; or
(c) currently registered to a professional or semi-professional sports team or has been so registered within the previous 4 years (this includes all academy and development team age groups); or
(d) has represented their nation or national team within the previous two years, including all youth and development age groups from under 17s upwards; or
(e) has represented their state or regional team within the previous two years, including all youth and development age groups from under 17s upwards; or
(f) has an established international reputation in their chosen field of sport; or
(g) engages an agent or representative, with the aim of finding opportunities as a sportsperson, and/or developing a current or future career as a sportsperson, or has engaged such an agent in the last 12 months; or
(h) is providing services as a sportsperson or coach, unless they are doing so as an “Amateur” in a charity event; or
(i) is providing services as a sportsperson or coach, unless they are doing so as a Student who is studying a course at degree level or above at a higher education provider and playing or coaching sport as an Amateur or as part of a work placement that is undertaken as an integral and assessed part of their course.

In contrast, amateur is defined as:

Amateur” means a person who engages in a sport or creative activity solely for personal enjoyment and who is not seeking to derive a living from the activity.
sounds like you're all right, but more knowledgeable members would be better to advise
read through it and see if anything raises questions
Not a qualified immigration adviser. Use links and references given to gain confirmation and/or extra information.

Jayden_2016
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by Jayden_2016 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:52 am

Thanks for your reply.

I am worrying about my situation may breach the point c as per the definition of Professional Sportsperson because the club registered me in the FA to let me can read the player details (including their parents contact), referee and opposite team contacts.

As my name is registered as Team Manager (they split the players in few small teams) of one of the team, it confused me whether I have been classified as a registered person in the club.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:16 am

Jayden_2016 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:52 am
Thanks for your reply.

I am worrying about my situation may breach the point c as per the definition of Professional Sportsperson because the club registered me in the FA to let me can read the player details (including their parents contact), referee and opposite team contacts.

As my name is registered as Team Manager (they split the players in few small teams) of one of the team, it confused me whether I have been classified as a registered person in the club.
My advise, this is a borderline problem. Best thing is to go as far away from it as possible.

No need to play the guessing game. Ignorance is never an excuse!

If it looks like a cat, moves like a cat and meows like a cat. 10 out of 10, it's a cat!!
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Jayden_2016
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by Jayden_2016 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:30 am

Thanks for your reply.

I know what I need to do but just don't want to upset the kids as they don't have enough officials to represent each small teams.

But at my situation, I will tell the team manager I have to go.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:37 am

Jayden_2016 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:30 am
Thanks for your reply.

I know what I need to do but just don't want to upset the kids as they don't have enough officials to represent each small teams.

But at my situation, I will tell the team manager I have to go.
You'd upset the kids more if you get kicked out of the country. Most importantly, you'd upset yourself.

Once I heard "registration with the FA", phew, I start smelling an avalanche of problems brewing!

Even without the FA involved, I personally wouldn't advise touching it with a 30ft pole.

Jayden_2016
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by Jayden_2016 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:04 am

Thanks for your advice.

I just texted the club manager about my decision and of course she is frustrated as the first training lesson starting tonight.

By the way, just one more question about my son (currently 8yrs) is playing the U9 game in this club. Will he breach the conditions also as he is a registered player (everyone need to register) in this club also?

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:35 am

Jayden_2016 wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:04 am
Thanks for your advice.

I just texted the club manager about my decision and of course she is frustrated as the first training lesson starting tonight.

By the way, just one more question about my son (currently 8yrs) is playing the U9 game in this club. Will he breach the conditions also as he is a registered player (everyone need to register) in this club also?
I believe not. He's just a child running around with his mates playing the beautiful game. There's no gratification expected to be given to him. At best he gets is a trophy and a fake medal on his neck.

He should be fine.

Jayden_2016
Newly Registered
Hong Kong

Post by Jayden_2016 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:14 pm

Thanks mate