ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British mother in Canada on the brink of the divorce

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Mrsdoc
inactive

British mother in Canada on the brink of the divorce

Post by Mrsdoc » Sat Nov 06, 2021 3:14 pm

Hi, a friend of mine contacted me recently to ask for a help.Her story is quite complicated and I decided to assist her with whatever information I could possibly find for her.

Let me first tell her story and I would really appreciate if there's someone on this forum who could provide some sort of helpful information for her situation.
She's a citizen of another country who just recently obtained her British citizenship through a marriage to a British citizen.Unfortunately for her she was silly enough to leave the UK for Canada before she could apply for her UK passport. She's is still married and has 4 children who are all British by birth, the age of kids ranges from 12 year to the youngest being only 1 year old. Now, her husband who is British and holding a working visa in Canada sponsoring my friend.I personally do not know much about Canadian immigration system and it's hard to tell for me their whole immigration situation but from what she's explained me that as she was not able to wait for her British passport in the UK (a very unwise decision in my opinion) she flew in to Canada on her home country"s passport which has got a 10 year Canadian visa(I'm assuming it's her spouse's working visa) which she obtained years ago and planned to apply for her UK passport from Canada.
And this is where things get really messy; unfortunately their marriage is on the brink of divorce and her spouse is being quite controlling and mentally abusive to her. When I asked her why she didn't apply for her passport and relocated to Canada so soon, she told me that she'd been tricked by her husband who convinced her to go back to see her family in her home country and while she was away he took their kids without her permission and flew to Canada.Later she has joined them in Canada. After she arrived in Canada things started to escalate between them.He began to control her every step and didn't allow her to do anything unless he's present with her, theres no financial support from him and he simply treats her like a servant.

Now, she asked what she could do in this situations as she desperately wants to come back to the UK with her 4 kids. She's scared of filling for divorce now as she's completely dependent on him :financially and legally being in Canada sponsored by him and believes that his ultimate aim is to throw her out of Canada and take their children away from her.I am absolutely gutted for her and immediately suggested to apply for her UK passport asap! She said she applied for it 5 days ago. She has no money and doesn't know where to turn, desperately trying to come back to the UK with children.

Apology for such a lengthy post but theres no other way to describe the situation.And I also didn't know which forum to pick for her situation either Canadian or UK?

What could she duo in her situation? I would appreciate any info and ill try to answer any questions if needed.

HCJNL

Re: British mother in Canada on the brink of the divorce

Post by HCJNL » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:04 pm

Naturalisation through marriage means there is no intent to settle in the UK requirement. So applying for a first British passport from Canada was fine. Hopefully she was able to send all the documents they asked for.
The upcoming divorce sounds horrible. She urgently needs legal advice in Canada.