ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of date of birth on passport.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Javed55
Newly Registered

Change of date of birth on passport.

Post by Javed55 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:50 am

Hi there, hope you’re are in good health. I have a scenario, I came to the UK in 2005 as an unaccompanied minor. i was put in care by local authority and at the time I did not know my age therefore by social worker assigned and went along with 01/01/1996 by my appearance so I was 10 by their judgement and also I am an afghan national. I received my ILR in 2008 and few years down the line in 2011 I got in contact with my real parents and so did my social worker, my father had sent them my real DOB certificate which stated I was born in 02/10/1993 at the time I was doing my gcse’s so my social worker and her seniors thought it would be best to not change my dob as it would affect my gcse’s and the way i had been going about my life since 2005. I got my naturalisation in 2016 and passport in 2016. In may 2020 I decided to change my dob thinking it would be a simple process, i sent my passport as well as letters/documents from my social workers as to why they did not change my dob when they had received my original dob from my parents. The issues or confusion that are dwelling in my head are that on my original dob certificate it says I was born in India 02/10/1993 and on my British Passport and naturalisation as well as ILR it says 01/01/1996 and Afghanistan. Is there a risk in changing my place of birth? Or should I continue to represent myself as an afghan my parents and grandparent are all afghans and also I spoke to my parents they said I was born in Afghanistan but few days old they travelled to India for safe haven as there was a civil war which had entered our village in Afghanistan and so they had to leave or be involved in it. I’m just worried can my British passport be revoked and my naturalisation and ILR?

I spoke to 2 solicitors and 1) said: what they can do is change the dob on my naturalisation and send that to HMPO as they have requested my ILR and Naturalisation as well as further proofs of my birth place/dob and family tree pro-forma.
The 2nd) said that I need to get a document from afghan embassy stating I am an afghan national and also station my dob/place of birth. They will then send these off to the HMPO with a written statement from me explaining everything and also said I should not try change my dob on naturalisation as there is a risk that it can be revoked.

Please someone give me guidance as to which solicitor I should listen to and go ahead with what they say as both are contradicting.
Thanks

Zerubbabel
Respected Guru
Mood:

Re: Change of date of birth on passport.

Post by Zerubbabel » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:56 pm

Hello

Are you sure your parents know when and where you were born? You were born at one point, we are sure of that, but there are conflicting narratives about it. So why do you want to change everything now?

I see you just opening a can of worms to be honest; without any obvious added value you are going to get from that. You may enter into an administrative nightmare that you will be still fighting in years from now.

Javed55
Newly Registered

Post by Javed55 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:40 pm

Hi thanks for your reply. The thing is I have already applied to change my dob and they have asked me to provide further proofs. Obviously my parents know when and where I was born but during those times in Afghanistan people were not being issues birth certificates and thats why vast majority of people there don’t know their exact dob, as my parents travelled to India they registered my birth there so I can get nationality of that country but it proved otherwise and me and my family were registered with UNHCR. This is the biggest mistake of my life so far, just caused unnecessary stress and problems for my self. The HMPO is now refusing to allow me to withdraw my application for change of dob until I send further proofs.
I was born in Afghanistan but what I want to know is that is it better for me to just go along with afghan national or go with Indian national as its easier to prove being Indian as it is already stated in my dob certificate. A solicitor said that regardless of you being born in 1993 or 1996 when you entered UK you were still a minor regardless of being 10 or 13 you did not benefit from you age difference.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru

Post by Frontier Mole » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:18 pm

Everything you have stated could be treated equally positively or negatively by the UK government dependent on their view.
One thing that is for sure your credibility is greatly in question ironically because you are trying to correct your details to what you believe to be accurate. A ten year old is an entirely different prospect to a 13 year old when it comes to remembering details and understanding the world. And presenting a birth certificate for another nation, that has a whole different set of problems.

It is not a surprise that HMPO are saying they want more details, no doubt other agencies will be interested too.

The issue for any government department is the need to absolutely prove the information you are now stating to be accurate as opposed to the years of records created since you arrived in the UK.

You are in a no win position and from what I can see there was little or anything to be gained in changing your DoB.

There is no easy solutions here and there is a huge safeguarding issue for the social workers, they knew you to be over 18 but allowed you to still attend as a child at school.

Good luck with your endeavour but I suggest you take legal advice as the consequences of your attempt to straighten the records may have serious implications.

Garry20g

Post by Garry20g » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:45 am

What kind of more proof they ask you to provide. Can you explain a bit