ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Change of visa status

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

hb
Newly Registered

Change of visa status

Post by hb » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:07 am

Dear All,

I and my husband arrived in the UK (at different times) on a visitor visa sponsored by my brother - all of us are Indian Nationals. My husband has secured a job as a doctor in the NHS and his visa status has changed from visitor to Work Permit Holder. Please note that I arrived in the UK on a visitor visa whilst my husband's workpermit + FLR was being procesed. Now that my husband is a work permit holder, could I change my status from visitor to dependent of my husband without going back to India? Please advice if there are any avenues to change my visa status without going back to India.

Thanks

hb
Newly Registered

Post by hb » Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:12 am

Hi All - could somebody please advise me on the above query and the following too.

I have also been told that in the U.S a straight forward visa switch from visitor to dependent isn't possible as there needs to be a gap of at least 1 year between the expiry of visitor visa and the issual of dependent visa - is there any such legislation in the UK too?.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:34 am

Refer to the FAQ - Q2.

hb
Newly Registered

Post by hb » Wed Jun 16, 2004 10:00 am

Thanks Kayalami - Sorry for posting this question without going thru the FAQ.

Could you also kindly comment on this: In the eventuality of my incountry application for change of visa status from visitor to dependent fails, I intend to get this change done at a British Diplomatic Post in India as advised. But do I have to wait for 1 year before applying for this change of visa status from visitor to dependent as is the case supposedly in the U.S?

Many thanks again and you guys are doing a great job!!

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:06 pm

Thanks Kayalami - Sorry for posting this question without going thru the FAQ.
No probs - using the FAQ will usually get you a faster response to your query.
Could you also kindly comment on this: In the eventuality of my incountry application for change of visa status from visitor to dependent fails, I intend to get this change done at a British Diplomatic Post in India as advised. But do I have to wait for 1 year before applying for this change of visa status from visitor to dependent as is the case supposedly in the U.S?
No need to wait for any period of time before making an application. Where there has been a refusal though the BDP will usually refer back to the Home Office for the reasons behind this. The time frame for this feedback can be quite long - 10 weeks+.
Many thanks again and you guys are doing a great job!!
Thank you on behalf of the moderators as well as contributors for this feedback.

hb
Newly Registered

Post by hb » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:53 am

Thanks very much!!