ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Choosing the right visa query

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Kyoshiro
Newly Registered
Mood:
France

Choosing the right visa query

Post by Kyoshiro » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:00 pm

Hello,

I am a French citizen and I am looking to come to the UK to live with my wife. She has French British dual citizenship. We have lived together in France for 9+ years and have been married for about a year. We have both always lived in France. She is enrolled to do a PhD starting October 1rst 2022 in the UK. Her place is confirmed and fully funded by UKRI.
For now, her university is allowing her to carry her research remotely, but we would need to relocate to the UK as soon as possible, and wish to establish ourselves there permanently. We initially thought we'd have to apply for a spousal visa for me to join her, so we had started planning to apply for this type of visa. We've recently learned about the existence of the EU Settlement Scheme family permit to join family in the UK which seems to be a better option for us. Our only concern is that the we've past the 29th March 2022 deadline. I was a university student in a French institution until June 2022, and my wife only received official confirmation for her studentship in April 2022.
Would our situation allow us to apply for a family permit? And would our situation qualify us for reasonable grounds for a late application?

Thank you

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Re: Choosing the right visa query

Post by Ticktack » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:09 am

Kyoshiro wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:00 pm
Hello,

I am a French citizen and I am looking to come to the UK to live with my wife. She has French British dual citizenship. We have lived together in France for 9+ years and have been married for about a year. We have both always lived in France. She is enrolled to do a PhD starting October 1rst 2022 in the UK. Her place is confirmed and fully funded by UKRI.
For now, her university is allowing her to carry her research remotely, but we would need to relocate to the UK as soon as possible, and wish to establish ourselves there permanently. We initially thought we'd have to apply for a spousal visa for me to join her, so we had started planning to apply for this type of visa. We've recently learned about the existence of the EU Settlement Scheme family permit to join family in the UK which seems to be a better option for us. Our only concern is that the we've past the 29th March 2022 deadline. I was a university student in a French institution until June 2022, and my wife only received official confirmation for her studentship in April 2022.
Would our situation allow us to apply for a family permit? And would our situation qualify us for reasonable grounds for a late application?

Thank you
Your initial option was correct. Your only route to living here is the British Spousal/Partner visa.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

Kyoshiro
Newly Registered
Mood:
France

Re: Choosing the right visa query

Post by Kyoshiro » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:52 am

Thank you for your response