ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do I need to replace BRP if I change my title?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

gogh83
Newly Registered

Do I need to replace BRP if I change my title?

Post by gogh83 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:23 am

Hello.

I have recently got married. I am not changing my surname. I have BRP version ILR.
I understand I need to change my BRP card if I change my name (due to marriage etc).
What about title? When I applied my ILR last time I applied with Miss.

I just checked BRP replacement online application and it asks me my name in the current BRP card. It has three sections (title, given name, family name)under 'Name' category.
Also, another section for new name (it has also three sections too).

I am wondering as my title has changed to Ms and I am no longer Miss (I am not changing my surname). Do I need to replacement BRP card? BRP card doesn't show title but I guess it may has my title in their system. Or at least I need to fill Change of Circumstances form??

If anyone knows please help me.
Thank you.

CULLINAN
Respected Guru
Pakistan

Re: Do I need to replace BRP if I change my title?

Post by CULLINAN » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:46 pm

As far as my knowledge, titles are NOT part of your name on legal documents. They are just used as a courtesy.

“This​‌‌‌​‌‌ ​‌‌‌​‌​is​‌‌‌​‌​ ​‌‌‌​‌‌because​‌​‌‌‌‌ ​‌‌​​​​social​‌‌​​‌‌ ​‌‌​​‌‌titles​‌‌​​​​ ​‌‌‌​​‌are​‌‌‌​​‌ ​‌‌​‌‌​not​‌‌‌‌​​ ​‌‌‌​‌​legally​‌‌​​‌‌ ​‌​‌​‌‌considered​‌‌‌​‌‌ ​‌​‌​‌​part​‌‌​‌​​ ​​​‌‌‌of​​‌‌‌​ ​​‌‌​‌your​​‌​​‌ ​​​‌‌​name​​‌​​‌,​​‌​​​ and they are not used for identity purposes, so the recognition of your title is just a matter of courtesy. The titles Mr, Mrs, Miss, Ms, Mx are not listed in passports at all”

You do not have to change anything if you are not changing your name/surname.
Personal opinion only, not to be mistaken for legal advice. Please DO NOT PM me for immigration advice. Love for All, Hatred for None.