ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Dual Nationality - effect on British Nationality ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

neo__x

Dual Nationality - effect on British Nationality ?

Post by neo__x » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:49 am

Hi,

Daughter was born in the UK, and now holds british nationality. I want to apply for her other passport so that there aren't any problems travelling between Uk and my country of origin.

I need to know whether I have to inform the home office about the dual nationality, and whether it would affect her status in the UK (e.g. any benefits like education etc).

Thanks!

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:33 am

No you don't.
Britain allows dual nationality without any restrictions and you don't have to inform anyone unless you wish to renounce british citizenship voluntarily.

However, you may want to be absolutely sure that your country of origin allows you to have dual nationality and does not require renunciation of british citizenship in order to acquire a passport.
Last edited by lemess on Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:35 am

No you don't - the UK has no objections to dual nationality so far as British citizenship* is concerned.

The only potential disadvantage that you should bear in mind is that dual nationals are not eligible for British consular protection in the country of their other nationality. In the case of a dual UK/French national, for exampe, this would mean that she's simply regarded as being French when she is in France.

*I say British citizenship because there are two other categories - British Subject under section 30 of the British Nationality Act 1981,and British Protected Person - where the status is lost when the person acquires another citizenship. But there is no problem so far as British citizens, British Overseas Territories citizens, British Overseas citizens and British Nationals (Overseas) are concerned.
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:01 am

ppron747 wrote:No you don't - the UK has no objections to dual nationality so far as British citizenship* is concerned.

<snip>

*I say British citizenship because there are two other categories - British Subject under section 30 of the British Nationality Act 1981,and British Protected Person - where the status is lost when the person acquires another citizenship. But there is no problem so far as British citizens, British Overseas Territories citizens, British Overseas citizens and British Nationals (Overseas) are concerned.
It's also worth observing that while British Overseas citizens do not lose British nationality upon acquiring another, they will lose any entitlement they may have had (if otherwise stateless) to registration as a British citizen under s4B of the 1981 Act.

And British overseas territories citizens (BOTC) may find their immigration status in their home territory is affected, even though they don't lose BOTC.

In general, if a British child has another nationality, and the 'other' country doesn't like one of its citizens holding another citizenship, there is *nothing* that can be done to remove British citizenship from the child until he or she turns 18. Whereupon he or she can renounce it voluntarily. Up to that point, the views of the parents or the 'other' country involved are irrelevant.

neo__x

Post by neo__x » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:40 pm

Thanks for all the answers guys.

ta