ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting Married Abroad

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

xamaj
Newly Registered
Kenya

Getting Married Abroad

Post by xamaj » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:59 pm

Hi,

I have FLR (FP) and would like to marry my girlfriend (Turkish). But I need a certificate of non-impediment. When I try to book an appointment online via my local register; it asks for my fiancé's address, but she lives in Turkey, and they won't let me use a foreign address. I'm I missing something here?

secret.simon

Re: Getting Married Abroad

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:53 am

Where do you plan to marry your fiancee? In Turkey, in the UK or in another country?

Also,to the best of my knowledge, people on FLR(FP) can't sponsor their non-EEA spouses.You may have to wait until you acquire ILR (and meet the minimum income requirement, etc) before sponsoring your spouse.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

xamaj
Newly Registered
Kenya

Post by xamaj » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:40 am

secret.simon wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:53 am
Where do you plan to marry your fiancee? In Turkey, in the UK or in another country?

Also,to the best of my knowledge, people on FLR(FP) can't sponsor their non-EEA spouses.You may have to wait until you acquire ILR (and meet the minimum income requirement, etc) before sponsoring your spouse.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I'm aware I cannot sponsor a spouse (not looking to do this, just get married). I plan to marry abroad in Turkey, but need the certificate of non-impediment, is it possible for me to obtain this even though I'm on FLR (FLP)?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:25 pm

xamaj wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:40 am
is it possible for me to obtain this even though I'm on FLR (FLP)?
That is the bit that I doubt. The Gov.UK page on "getting married abroad" explicitly states that "if you’re a British national getting a marriage or civil partnership abroad, you might need certain documents from the UK government, for example a certificate of no impediment (CNI)."

The Milton Keynes registry office (which also came up in the first few links when I searched for "certificate of non-impediment) states "These can only be provided for British nationals via the Register Office in the district in which you live.". You may want to check with the registry office of your local council, but I suspect that it will likely give you the same answer; that the UK authorities will only issue a CNI for British nationals.

British nationals who are abroad and wish to marry abroad can obtain a CNI from their closest British embassy. You may have to obtain one from the embassy/ies of your nationality/ies.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.