Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to!

Login Register Do not show

Hopeless question...

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, Zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, push, Administrator

Newly Registered
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:59 am

Hopeless question...

Post by halfluke » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:06 am

Hi guys,

I'm an Italian currently living and working in UK.
I met a filipino girl who was studying here for a master degree.
Now she is back in her country.
She can't reach 75 points to apply for a HSMP visa.
She is still married because, as u know, in the Philippines divorce doesn't exist and she has been waiting for anullment for years.
My question is:
is there any chance for her to obtain a tourist visa for the UK, and file a quicker divorce from here?
After that, she could marry me, but even so, her divorce wouldnt be recognized in the Philippines, so I presume she wouldnt be allowed to come back to UK with a spouse visa... right?
Any answer or suggestion?


Posts: 950
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:10 pm
Location: used to be London

Post by ppron747 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:30 pm

I'm not an expert but I'd be very surprised if the UK courts would accept a petition for divorce from someone who isn't ordinarily resident in th UK.

I don't know how long you have been together, but I wonder if an unmarried partner visa would work in these circumstances? You'd need to show you had lived together in a relationship akin to marriage for two years, and I don't think the fact that she is still married to someone else would necessarily be a bar to this...
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

Diamond Member
Posts: 1811
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:01 am

Post by Kayalami » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:42 pm


If I recall correctly the SEGS (Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme) which previously enabled those with bachelor degrees from UK institutions to work in the UK for 1 year after completing their studies was extended to those with obtaining a UK Masters in any subject from 1 May 2006. This will be the better if not the only option. She may also seek work employment sponsorship. Such I believe would be easier post the SEGS entry as she would be already in the UK job market. Likewise it may be that she qualifies for the HSMP post SEGS given the improved weighting in scores for UK work experience and income.

good luck