ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR BRP lost - fothcoming travel

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

xcrogers

ILR BRP lost - fothcoming travel

Post by xcrogers » Fri May 13, 2022 12:54 pm

I have recently applied for my son's UK passport (approved and received) however the passport office has not returned my supporting documents (BRP/Passport/etc) its been weeks beyond the noted return date and despite multiple calls/chats and escalating with my MP no forward progress.

We are now a week or so away from a scheduled holiday, I am obviously looking into ability to modify/cancel the trip itself but also looking into emergency passport as well as BRP. It would see that I can apply for a one-off entry visa that would allow me to leave/enter the UK? Would this be the appropraite process? I have scans of my (valid) BRP that is somewhere with the passport office so if I can otherwise avoid going through that process for a one-off it would be preferred. Any advice or experiences with this?

Thank you

zimba
Mood:

Re: ILR BRP lost - fothcoming travel

Post by zimba » Fri May 13, 2022 3:51 pm

You do not a BRP to leave the UK. You need a BRP to enter the UK. If you are a non-visa national you may be able to board the plane and return to the Uk without any issues. No need for a BRP as this can be explained at the border. However, if you are a visa national you cannot board a plane to the Uk without a valid BRP.

You may apply for a replacement BRP visa but that requires you to report your BRP as lost/stolen first. This also may take weeks outside the UK to be granted.

https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... en-damaged

I suggest delaying the trip
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

xcrogers

Post by xcrogers » Tue May 17, 2022 7:23 pm

Thanks for the reply. Outside of the 'holiday' planned (which can be moved/dealt with easily) I have a number of upcoming work trips (still several weeks out) that are less flexible. If my documents are not returned I'll need to have an emergency US passport issued for that travel anyways. I assume I'd also need to report my BRP as 'lost' (as essentially it is) but understand it takes 8 weeks for the replacement to arrive. As an 8 week replacement window is beyond two additional work trips do i need to also apply for two 'one time entry visa's' or becuase I have ILR is that not required.... or if I can prove i've already filed for a replacement is that not required? Using e-gates I'm typically not even ever asked, its usually (if ever) the check-in people with the airline...

Thank you!

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Tue May 17, 2022 9:28 pm

Given that you have a US passport you are quite lucky. Just use your US passport at the e-Gate. All UK residents whose nationality allows them to use the e-Gate will be admitted as residents (not as visitors).

See: general-uk-immigration-forum/can-we-use ... l#p1787814

There is no need for any replacement visa or a new BRP application. In fact, a new BRP can take up to 6 months to be issued. You'll eventually get your BRP back from HMPO. Just get an emergency passport and you will need no BRP for any travels at all
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

xcrogers

Post by xcrogers » Wed May 18, 2022 8:15 am

Thank you for the reply and the information. I'm still holding out hope that all the documents will show by Friday and all this is not required. If not, I have an emergency passport appointment scheduled and I'll get that sorted so I can complete our holiday and business travel and just wait for the original BRP and my birth certificate to be returned in the HM Passports office own good time (ugh).....

Thank you!