ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Immigration to UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

dede
Newly Registered

Immigration to UK

Post by dede » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:11 pm

A bit of a more complex question... Actually 2 questions....

I am a non-EU citizen, married to a Belgian for more than 4 years. Currently we are living in France, and we applied last november for me to receive Belgian citizenship. However, that is still in process... Does anyone know what a typical processing time would be for that? The consulate here is not exactly forthcoming in terms of information..

Secondly, I just received a job offer in the UK. But it is contingent on me being able to work in the UK without the firm having to get a work permit for me. Now my husband will have to stick for a while still with his job in France, and is also looking for jobs in the UK, but that may take a while. So the plan would be for me to take the job and for him to try and come there within a year or so...

Is there anyway, that before i get the Belgian citizenship I could actually have a right to work in the UK????? Nobody seems to be clear on this... I do have a work permit for France ( based on the spouse's nationality)... but is that of any use anywhere else?

Thanks so much for your help.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:37 pm

dede wrote:I am a non-EU citizen, married to a Belgian for more than 4 years. Currently we are living in France, and we applied last november for me to receive Belgian citizenship. However, that is still in process... Does anyone know what a typical processing time would be for that? The consulate here is not exactly forthcoming in terms of information..
Elfa on the European forum would know more about processing times.
dede wrote:Secondly, I just received a job offer in the UK. But it is contingent on me being able to work in the UK without the firm having to get a work permit for me. Now my husband will have to stick for a while still with his job in France, and is also looking for jobs in the UK, but that may take a while. So the plan would be for me to take the job and for him to try and come there within a year or so...

Is there anyway, that before i get the Belgian citizenship I could actually have a right to work in the UK????? Nobody seems to be clear on this... I do have a work permit for France ( based on the spouse's nationality)... but is that of any use anywhere else?
If your husband was in the UK exercising treaty rights i.e. employment/ self employment then you would be eligible under EU law to join him in the UK and to reside and work without needing a work permit - this is your situation in France. Since this is not the case you can only work in the UK after you obtain the relevant authorisation i.e. a work permit or if the occupation in question is permit free which it doesn't appear to be. If you desire to work in the UK permit free then your husband needs to relocate before or with you to this country then apply for an EU residence permit with you as a dependent which will allow you to work 'permit free'. This process takes a maximum of 6 months.