ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leave country after ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

Botman
Oman

Leave country after ILR

Post by Botman » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:38 pm

I will be moving to my family in Germany after ILR application next month. What will happen to ILR/British passport prospects?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Leave country after ILR

Post by CR001 » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:43 pm

ILR is lost if you are absent for 2 or more years. Short visits to maintain status doesn't work either and your ILR could be cancelled on arrival in the uk.

If you move out of the UK, not much chance of getting citizenship as you are required to be in the uk and meet all the requirements and declare your future intention of living in the uk.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

secret.simon

Re: Leave country after ILR

Post by secret.simon » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:40 am

British citizenship has very specific absence requirements.

No more than 450 days in the last five years and no more than 90 days in the year immediately before the date of application for naturalisation.

A prolonged absence from the UK will limit your ability to meet those requirements for a start. It would also cast doubt on your future intentions to reside in the UK, which is also a requirement for naturalisation.

And if you are not resident in the UK (which is why short visits won't count), you can lose your ILR too.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.