ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leave to remain for litigation

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

rshelar
Member of Standing

Leave to remain for litigation

Post by rshelar » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:46 am

Can a spouse of a British national apply for any leave to remain/ visa to the UK to appear or contest any litigation in UK courts?

If yes, on what basis can such an application be made?

This is in situation where the dependent visa has expired and the marriage has broken down but a divorce has not been issued.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Leave to remain for litigation

Post by CR001 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:02 am

No, there is no such visa category.

If the person whose visa expired is outside the UK, they will have to apply for a normal visitor visa and meet all the requirements.

Note also that divorces in England do not have court hearings. Divorce is granted on papers submitted.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

rshelar
Member of Standing

Post by rshelar » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:25 am

Thank you for your reply.

I was meaning any other category other than visitor visa. Can the person claim on the basis of spouse of british national (even though current leave was curtailed following breakdown) to appear for court proceedings or leave for occupation orders in UK ?

I understand most divorces are granted on paper, but this is regarding contested matters which require a court appearance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:27 am

I was meaning any other category other than visitor visa. Can the person claim on the basis of spouse of british national (even though current leave was curtailed following breakdown) to appear for court proceedings or leave for occupation orders in UK ?
No, there is no such visa for your circumstances. Ho could say you can have a legal representative in the UK to work on your behalf.
I understand most divorces are granted on paper, but this is regarding contested matters which require a court appearance.
There is no special visa. You only have the option of a visitor visa, if you can get one.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:30 am

If your questions in this topic relate to your "friend" you posted about previously, I strongly suggest you ask your friend to register on the forum and ask their own questions. Not sure why you are getting involved in this issue.

immigration-for-family-members/curtailm ... l#p1758401
Char (CR001 not Casa)

rshelar
Member of Standing

Post by rshelar » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:10 am

Thank you CR001. Understood now