ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Long Term visa/residency for Indian Parents

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

aeun-flux
Mood:

Long Term visa/residency for Indian Parents

Post by aeun-flux » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:43 pm

Good evening all Immigration Sensei's,

I have a small query and I believe this may have been asked before. My sincere apologies beforehand, if I am taking the shortcut by creating another topic. Its just time is of essence for me, I need to get something off of my chest. Anyway, please see below and kindly advice whenever you have a moment or two:

I am a British citizen via naturalization, my Missus is EU citizen and we have 2 daughters (one of them born in Oct 21). My parents are back in India and they are quite old, especially my Dad who is 73. Both of them have long-term Diabetes, hyperthyroidism, Dad also has CKD and quite frequent Hypoglycemia. For last few days he is now showing signs of memory loss, due to a recent hypoglycemic attack, but I also think that this is just a start as he might be going on towards Dementia. I am the only child (and here), my Mum had been a housewife her whole life and she is at her wits end. (sorry for the long background)

My question-
what is the legal way I can bring them to UK, so that I can keep a close eye on their health in general? I do not intend to us NHS (even though I work for them, not a doctor). But at least having them close to me, will give me that peace of mind.

Will having long term visitor visa's work ? and say if I want to use NHS services, can I pay for their Health Surcharge ?

Sorry again for such a long post, please advice or ask any further questions that you may think is pertinent to this situation.

Kind regards,

AEouNFlux

manci
Respected Guru

Re: Long Term visa/residency for Indian Parents

Post by manci » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:18 pm

aeun-flux wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:43 pm
what is the legal way I can bring them to UK, so that I can keep a close eye on their health in general?
The way to get your parents to come to live in the UK permanently would be the Adult Dependent Relative route but the eligibility conditions are so onerous as to make this route virtually impossible in most cases:

E-ECDR.2.4. The applicant or, if the applicant and their partner are the sponsor’s parents or grandparents, the applicant’s partner, must as a result of age, illness or disability require long-term personal care to perform everyday tasks.

E-ECDR.2.5. The applicant or, if the applicant and their partner are the sponsor’s parents or grandparents, the applicant’s partner, must be unable, even with the practical and financial help of the sponsor, to obtain the required level of care in the country where they are living, because-

(a) it is not available and there is no person in that country who can reasonably provide it; or
(b) it is not affordable.

aeun-flux wrote:
Will having long term visitor visa's work ?
A long term visitor visa would still mean that they can only come to the UK for 6 months at a time. Whether they can get a visitor visa depends on their circumstances. The HO want to ensure that visitors have strong ties to their home country so that they are unlikely not to return.
Personal opinion, not professional or legal advice

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:02 am

If the ADR is refused this more or less blocks the chances of their ever getting a visitor visa haven expressed the intention and explored the route for long term stay in UK.

aeun-flux
Mood:

Post by aeun-flux » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:55 pm

Aah so it means that there's no legal way to do perform duties of a Son. It's so unfortunate 😥!!

I understand as well too, that over the years the system may have been abused. And it still feels like a kick in the teeth.

I also know that had I been in a more wealthier situation probably I would not have posted in this forum...🤣

Anyway, its so unfair and unjust for people who really need the help...

blondesafari

Post by blondesafari » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:04 am

Unfortunately too many people (including me, btw) don’t look into the rules before immigrating into a new country. Because we didn’t do our homework properly, we can’t then turn around and say that the country is being unfair. You can still do your duties as a son if you move back to your home country and look after your parents there. It’s our own fault as the rules have been like this since 2012.

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:59 am

aeun-flux wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:55 pm
Aah so it means that there's no legal way to do perform duties of a Son. It's so unfortunate 😥!!

I understand as well too, that over the years the system may have been abused. And it still feels like a kick in the teeth.

I also know that had I been in a more wealthier situation probably I would not have posted in this forum...🤣

Anyway, its so unfair and unjust for people who really need the help...
Life in general isn't fair. The NHS is at breaking point, bringing in Old folks here would only help bend it further. This is the view of the government.
Don't forget that the UK in general is a very small island.
The governments job isn't generally to make us happy, but to protect the way of life of the majority.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

aeun-flux
Mood:

Post by aeun-flux » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:14 pm

Oh no don't get me wrong. This country has given me so much, I would never change that. I love both my countries, one has given me life and the other has made me a Man.

We are all humans after all. And with that comes certain level of helplessness when faced with tricky situations. Especially when there is an economic aspect of the whole situation.

I am about to apply for Emergency Visa to see my Dad who is currently in the hospital due to a brain haemorrhage.

Fingers crossed he comes out ok. Fingers crossed I get the visa. Fingers crossed my family here is ok whilst I am there....

I am gonna grit my teeth and carry on... 🙂

Ticktack
Respected Guru

Post by Ticktack » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:20 pm

So sorry to hear that your dad is poorly. Wishing him and your entire family all the best.
No sin in failing, you just have to try and try again!

aeun-flux
Mood:

Post by aeun-flux » Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:26 pm

Ticktack wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:20 pm
So sorry to hear that your dad is poorly. Wishing him and your entire family all the best.

🙂
Thank you

JB007
- thin ice -

Post by JB007 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:14 pm

aeun-flux wrote:
Will having long term visitor visa's work ? and say if I want to use NHS services, can I pay for their Health Surcharge ?
No. You will need to buy private insurance that covers all their medical problems and then claim the money back that you paid to the NHS for their treatment.

If you live in England, they cannot waive any charges and must bill.
Unplanned treatment on a temporary visit to England

If you're visiting England from outside the European Economic Area (EEA), even if you're a former UK resident, you'll be charged for NHS secondary care at 150% of the standard NHS rate, unless an exemption from the charge category applies to either you or the treatment.

Make sure you're covered for healthcare through personal medical or travel insurance for all of your visit.

You'll need to pay the full estimated cost in advance, unless this would prevent or delay treatment that a clinician determines is urgent. If so, you can pay afterwards.

Future immigration applications may be denied if you are subject to immigration control and do not pay for NHS treatment when a charge applies. Debts for NHS treatment of £500 or more, that have been unpaid for at least 2 months, will be reported to the Home Office.

Some NHS services or treatments are exempt from charges so that they're free to all (although prescription, dentistry and other charges may still apply).

These include:
https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/visitin ... -area-eea/

aeun-flux
Mood:

Post by aeun-flux » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:59 am

JB007 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:14 pm
aeun-flux wrote:
No. You will need to buy private insurance that covers all their medical problems and then claim the money back that you paid to the NHS for their treatment.

If you live in England, they cannot waive any charges and must bill.
Unplanned treatment on a temporary visit to England

If you're visiting England from outside the European Economic Area (EEA), even if you're a former UK resident, you'll be charged for NHS secondary care at 150% of the standard NHS rate, unless an exemption from the charge category applies to either you or the treatment.

Make sure you're covered for healthcare through personal medical or travel insurance for all of your visit.

You'll need to pay the full estimated cost in advance, unless this would prevent or delay treatment that a clinician determines is urgent. If so, you can pay afterwards.

Future immigration applications may be denied if you are subject to immigration control and do not pay for NHS treatment when a charge applies. Debts for NHS treatment of £500 or more, that have been unpaid for at least 2 months, will be reported to the Home Office.

Some NHS services or treatments are exempt from charges so that they're free to all (although prescription, dentistry and other charges may still apply).

These include:
https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/visitin ... -area-eea/

Thank you so much for the information provided.🙂

aeun-flux
Mood:

Post by aeun-flux » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:02 pm

I sincerely Thank you all for all the advise.

I was able to see my Father and he seems to be in much better spirit and health.

Although having a stroke increases the chances of a future one, but he is continuing his recommended diet and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

He tends to forget things a bit, but that's understandable as having diabetes for 20 odd years brings Dementia and having had the stroke, I believe it just aggravated it.. but still he is very conscious.

Thanks you again.

Kind regards,

AEUON Flux

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:45 pm

aeun-flux wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:02 pm
I sincerely Thank you all for all the advise.

I was able to see my Father and he seems to be in much better spirit and health.

Although having a stroke increases the chances of a future one, but he is continuing his recommended diet and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

He tends to forget things a bit, but that's understandable as having diabetes for 20 odd years brings Dementia and having had the stroke, I believe it just aggravated it.. but still he is very conscious.

Thanks you again.

Kind regards,

AEUON Flux
Wishing him good health day by day.