ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My experiences in ILR interview

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

orthopod
Newly Registered

My experiences in ILR interview

Post by orthopod » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:30 pm

Guys
I completed 3 years 11 months on march 3 and went in for an interview. I did not carry any additional documents other than what was specified in the application form. 6 months pay slips, 6 months bank statements, job offer letter and company letter. I joined this company 2 years back. I did not carry with me the previous company documentation since nowhere was it specified I should submit entire employer history. Anyway the caseworker was a grumpy old man who repeatedly questioned me why I did not carry documentation abt previous employer. I indicated that the work permit stamps on passport. He was not too happy. My current work permit application transfer was submitted without my passport and so I had with me the letter from Home Office with the stamp on it. I never bothered transferring this stamp onto the passport because it was not mandatory. The caseworker repeatedly questioned me about this. He even told me the letter from Home office I was showing wasnt in their records !!! How untrue. I have no clue why he was pursuing this unnecessary questioning. While all this was happening I noticed something interesting. The next counter was occupied by a caseworker of asian origin and I heard him say he was from pakistan. I saw him peep around from him counter to look at me. This intrigued me. I kept an ear open and heard him chat to his applicant in hindi. I am pretty sure ( but not 100%) that he said it would 500 bucks to do the job. I could be wrong.
All in all an interesting say but if your documentation is proper its all a very straightforward process. My payslips and bank statements were not even looked at.
Take care.

marr1a
Newly Registered

Post by marr1a » Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:18 pm

So, orthopod, does that mean you got your ILR? I can't tell from your post.

I went to Croydon for my ILR interview this week too. I brought 3+ months current account and savings bank statements, proof of my mortgage, company pension money, all my Home Office work permit letters including my HSMP approval letter and FLR (IED) letter, and P60s and Inland Revenue Self Assessment forms. I also stated that I am self-employed and included my Companies House letter on my Ltd. company and a business plan. I had everything written up and tabbed as if I was sending it through the post.

My guy only looked at...
1 - my current account statements,
2 - my pre-HSMP work permits, and
3 - my Ltd. company info

He totally brushed over the rest including my explanatory information (I was disappointed!). He asked me what was the longest period of time in the past four years I've been out of the country. And that was it. He said, okay, your file is now updated and you now have Indefinite Leave to Remain (music to my ears). He made a copy of my company information and sent me on my way. I was sitting in front of him less than 15 minutes.

All told I was in and out in 2.5 hours. I cried on the way home. Tears of relief. I was worried someone would call me back saying they made a mistake (silly, I know, they'd have to catch me first :wink: ). I hadn't realised just HOW worried about ILR I had been. Now I can make more solid plans....

So for those of you on your way to ILR, hang in there and when you do go take more info than you need, just in case.

marr1a

p.s. Background info: I was on work permit with company 1 from March 2001 to Sept 2004, work permit with company 2 from Sept 2004 to Dec 2004, applied for HSMP in April 2004, received approval in Oct 2004, sent off HSMP FLR(IED) in Nov 2004, received HSMP FLR in Dec 2004 (mwazir is my hero :D ), eligible for ILR Feb 2005, ILR granted in person Mar 2005.

sywahu

Post by sywahu » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:51 pm

Congratulations Orthopod - Would it be possible for you to let us know the contents of your company letter? (excluding the relevant details of course)

I have asked eeckard the same question. I m going to apply soon and need to get first hand information on what actually is acceptable to HO.

Thanks

anonym
Newly Registered

Letter Format

Post by anonym » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:22 pm

Hi sywahu,
Went for my ILR interview today and got it. The letter from your employer can be just a plain vanilla one.. Mine addressed it to "Whom it may concern" and text was something like, "This is to confirm xyz is working as <position> in <companyname> from <joining date> till date."
My company added a "not liable" clause in the letter which was a bit too much if you ask. However those things doesnt matter. Keep it plain and simple.. all the best

anonym

orthopod
Newly Registered

Post by orthopod » Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:47 am

sywahu wrote:Congratulations Orthopod - Would it be possible for you to let us know the contents of your company letter? (excluding the relevant details of course)

I have asked eeckard the same question. I m going to apply soon and need to get first hand information on what actually is acceptable to HO.

Thanks
Hi sywahu

The company letter can be very straight forward. My letter had general stuff like the numberof years i have been working, the salary I am drawing and the position in the company. In addition it had a list of current projects and products I am working on for various clients. If you need me to email you a copy then let me know.

Cosmopol
Member of Standing

Post by Cosmopol » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:50 pm

marr1a wrote:He totally brushed over the rest including my explanatory information (I was disappointed!)
I would take it as a compliment - the HO worker just by looking at your package had no doubt that everything is in proper order, and that's due to your preparations. So, enjoy the trust! ;)

Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on the long-awated status!

marr1a
Newly Registered

Post by marr1a » Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:44 pm

Thanks Cosmopol :D

marr1a

sywahu

Post by sywahu » Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:06 pm

Thanks guys.

djuk
Newly Registered

ILR appointment in a few weeks..

Post by djuk » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:11 pm

I have now hit my four year and eleven month mark on a work permit, and have booked my ILR appointment at Croydon for next week.

There is one big issue I have though, which I would be grateful for some input. During the four year period, I have substiantially been in the UK with the exception of the past 5.5 months which I spent travelling in the South Pacific. I was fortunate enough to have this treated as a sabbatical on partial pay and maintained continuous employment under my work permit. Regardless, I was out of the UK for this time. The letter from my work does not mention my absence and merely confirms my continuous employment, but the extended nature of my absence would seem to threaten the success of my application.

My question then is should I wait for, say, another three months before applying, or go for it now? What is the liklihood of my success given historic applications with extended absences. I cannot dispute the duration, but could claim (albeit without proof) that at least a portion of this time was work related.

Thanks in advance for any replies

davidm

Re: ILR appointment in a few weeks..

Post by davidm » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:54 pm

djuk wrote:I have now hit my four year and eleven month mark on a work permit, and have booked my ILR appointment at Croydon for next week.

There is one big issue I have though, which I would be grateful for some input. During the four year period, I have substiantially been in the UK with the exception of the past 5.5 months which I spent travelling in the South Pacific. I was fortunate enough to have this treated as a sabbatical on partial pay and maintained continuous employment under my work permit. Regardless, I was out of the UK for this time. The letter from my work does not mention my absence and merely confirms my continuous employment, but the extended nature of my absence would seem to threaten the success of my application.

My question then is should I wait for, say, another three months before applying, or go for it now? What is the liklihood of my success given historic applications with extended absences. I cannot dispute the duration, but could claim (albeit without proof) that at least a portion of this time was work related.

Thanks in advance for any replies

I have been absent from the UK for almost 6 months at a streach on work, did not affect my ILR application. Also, my citizenship application was accepted this week even though I was out of the country for more than 600 days in the past 5 years (a major part of it was on work, even though I was away for 4 months at a streach due to personal reasons once- death in my wife's family).

My previous employer gave a very strong letter to the Home Office stating that the nature of my job necessitated lots of travel and that they were responsible for most of my abcenses.

I had continuos employment with the same employer for the first 4 years and 3 months, which helped I guess.