ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

My wife to renew ILR - Do I have to be in the UK as well?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

xarth
Newly Registered

Are there exemptions for delayed return to UK due to COVID-19?

Post by xarth » Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:53 am

Hello,

My wife has an ILR card, and the 2 years outside the UK will occur in August this year.
I am British, but I have a job in China, so it is hard for me to return to the UK as China is not accepting foreign nationals, which could mean losing my job. We also have a 2-year old son, who has Right of Abode.

Because our family would be separated (she returns to the UK and I stay in China), we need to know if there would be an exemption from her ILR lapsing because of this situation if she did not return to the UK.

I contacted the Coronavirus Immigration Team at the Home Office, but got redirected to the contact form for paid e-mail service. I did that and got contacts for the Coronavirus Immigration Team, and unclear web pages on the .gov website. It seems than no person is willing to provide advice.

Any guidance would be helpful.
Thank you.

zimba
Mood:

Re: Are there exemptions for delayed return to UK due to COVID-19?

Post by zimba » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:44 pm

If she stays more than 2 years outside the UK, her ILR status is lost. She has to apply for returning resident visa and if UKVI is convinced, her ILR status can be reinstated. Given the circumstances, I believe she will be able to get her ILR back if you all decide to return back to the UK.
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

xarth
Newly Registered

Post by xarth » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:20 pm

Hello Zimba,

Thank you for your reply, which is encouraging. Hopefully the situation will improve and we'll be able to travel.

I did try replying a few times, but I was facing warnings about my account being spam.

shma7780
Newly Registered
Mood:

Post by shma7780 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:12 am

Hello All,
On the topic of returning resident to UK
My wife had ILR she was supposed to return to UK before 23 June 2020
somehow we missed the time frame
does it mean that she lost her ILR, do we have any concessions in this regard due to carona
we are scared that she may be asked to go back on next flight to India.
Any help on this topic or PM would be helpful

Thanks

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:14 am

shma7780 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:12 am
Hello All,
does it mean that she lost her ILR, do we have any concessions in this regard due to carona

Thanks
There are unconfirmed talks about the thinking of HO on further concessions tied to missing chance of extension,stuck abroad etc due to covid-19 though no indication of conditions or criteria,

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:32 am

AmazonianX wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:14 am
shma7780 wrote:
Hello All,

Thanks
There are unconfirmed talks about the thinking of HO on further concessions tied to missing chance of extension,stuck abroad etc due to covid-19 though no indication of conditions or criteria,
The op and this topic is about absence form the UK when you hold ilr and exceed two years, which is when ilr is typically lost. It isn't about visa extensions. There has been no change to this two year absence limit for ilr holders.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

AmazonianX
Respected Guru

Post by AmazonianX » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:54 am

CR001 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:32 am
AmazonianX wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:14 am
shma7780 wrote:
Hello All,

Thanks
The op and this topic is about absence form the UK when you hold ilr and exceed two years, which is when ilr is typically lost. It isn't about visa extensions. There has been no change to this two year absence limit for ilr holders.
Oh, Ok sorry.

xarth
Newly Registered

My wife to renew ILR - Do I have to be in the UK as well?

Post by xarth » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:04 pm

Hello,

My wife needs to renew her ILR early next year, but we are abroad at this time.
As I understand, she has to apply from within the UK, but do I, a UK citizen, and our son, who has Right of Abode, have to be in the UK as well?

The only 'strong' tie to the UK in the UK is my mother, my wife can stay with her throughout the application process. I think my brother would not be considered to be a strong tie. We will want our son to have an English education in the future, so there is intention to resettle, albeit a long-term plan.

Thank you,

Lee

zimba
Mood:

Re: My wife to renew ILR - Do I have to be in the UK as well?

Post by zimba » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:36 pm

xarth wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:04 pm
Hello,

My wife needs to renew her ILR early next year, but we are abroad at this time.
As I understand, she has to apply from within the UK, but do I, a UK citizen, and our son, who has Right of Abode, have to be in the UK as well?

The only 'strong' tie to the UK in the UK is my mother, my wife can stay with her throughout the application process. I think my brother would not be considered to be a strong tie. We will want our son to have an English education in the future, so there is intention to resettle, albeit a long-term plan.

Thank you,

Lee
There is no such thing as renewing ILR. ILR is a permanent status and cannot be renewed, it is either granted or lost/revoked.

If she has been outside the UK for more than 24 months her ILR status is lost. She gets the option to apply for returning resident visa to reinstate her ILR if she can prove she has strong ties to the UK. She has to apply from outside the UK. Obviously, if she is in the UK, then her ILR status is unaffected and so reinstating her ILR will be meaningless :? :?

You do not need to be in the UK to prove her ties to the Uk but if you are stationed outside the UK, then her claim to return is weaker.

The guide will tell you what to expect: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -residents
Apply here: https://www.gov.uk/returning-resident-visa
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

xarth
Newly Registered

Post by xarth » Mon May 03, 2021 11:39 am

Hello Zimba,

Thanks for your reply and links. Perhaps I was confused and asked the wrong question.
My wife's Residence Permit card has a valid until date on it: 20th March 2022. She got to the UK last year to reinstate her ILR status. I understand that the BRP can only be renewed from inside the UK.

The information on the gov.uk site runs in circles from the guidance to the replacement service and back again, so I cannot find the required documents information nor requirements for BRP renewal purposes.

Thanks again,
Lee

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon May 03, 2021 12:47 pm

Renew.

Replace an expired BRP
If you have indefinite leave to remain or enter
Use the BRP replacement service from within the UK.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

xarth
Newly Registered

Post by xarth » Mon May 03, 2021 2:47 pm

vinny wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 12:47 pm
Renew.

Replace an expired BRP
If you have indefinite leave to remain or enter
Use the BRP replacement service from within the UK.
Hello Vinny,

Thanks for that, but I have been to those links. The guidance page points to the BRP replacement service, and the BRP replacement service page links to the guidance for the documents, etc, but the required docs and requirements are not on any of those pages.

The BRP replacement service cannot be used now because my wife is not in the UK right now, but will go three months before the expiry date on the BRP.

Thanks again,
Lee

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Mon May 03, 2021 11:28 pm

You cannot apply for a replacement BRP outside the UK. Instead, you’ll need to apply for a ‘replacement BRP visa’, which lets you re-enter the UK once only. It costs £154.
https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... en-damaged

xarth
Newly Registered

Post by xarth » Wed May 05, 2021 10:42 am

Zimba wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 11:28 pm
You cannot apply for a replacement BRP outside the UK. Instead, you’ll need to apply for a ‘replacement BRP visa’, which lets you re-enter the UK once only. It costs £154.
https://www.gov.uk/biometric-residence- ... en-damaged
Hello Zima,

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I understand that, but my wife will go back to the UK before the BRP expires, so she shouldn't need a replacement BRP visa for re-entry. My question was whether or not I need to be in the UK whilst she renews the BRP. The reason is that I have a job overseas, and she will come back here when she gets her new BRP. That's why I asked about strong ties to the UK; I would be a strong tie if in the UK at the same time as her.

All the best,
Lee

zimba
Mood:

Post by zimba » Wed May 05, 2021 10:44 am

She does not need to prove her strong ties to the UK if her ILR is not lost and you do not need to be in the UK. You are mixing things up. This is simple case of renewing the card then

xarth
Newly Registered

Post by xarth » Sat May 08, 2021 3:17 pm

Thank you, Zimba.
:)