ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Name change dilemma

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

itsellyk
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Name change dilemma

Post by itsellyk » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:11 pm

Hi!
My enquiry is regarding the name change in passport and subsequently BRP card. If you can advise in steps to take or who to contact that'd be much appreciated!

I am a Ukrainian passport holder, in the UK under spouse visa until 2023 (first time application) and I'm starting to think about next steps for when the time to renew comes.
The thing is, I had been living in Spain for about 20 years before relocating to the UK and never got the Spanish nationality, which I am now seriously considering. It's unlikely I'll ever go back to Ukraine to live permanently and our lives are settled here now, so...
I'm having a dilemma with regards to which steps to take first. I never updated my name on my Ukrainian passport after marriage, and subsequently my residency permits in Spain and UK still contain my maiden name. But I did take on my husband's surname which is reflected on the marriage certificate (from Malta) and by deed poll, so my driver's license, for example, contains the married name.

I know that according to Ukrainian law, you're supposed to change your documents to reflect the name change within a month of marriage, in the territory of Ukraine and in person, but in our case, between living in a different country and then covid I never got to it.

So I'm assuming that the best "timeline" to go by is: 1. Go to Ukraine and change my ID and travel document. 2. Apply for Spanish citizenship with the new name (which God knows how long will that take). 3. Apply to the EU settlement scheme with Spanish nationality?

Only things is, I don't want to have problems at border control when travelling because the names on my documents won't match at first while waiting for citizenship and all that.
Is there any other way to go around this?
Do you know anyone that could help with this particular situation?

Thanks so much in advance!
Elina

secret.simon

Re: Name change dilemma

Post by secret.simon » Sun Sep 05, 2021 4:14 pm

itsellyk wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:11 pm
3. Apply to the EU settlement scheme with Spanish nationality?
Without addressing the main part of the post, I would point out that you are not eligible to switch to the EUSS.

To apply to the EU SS, you needed to have been living in the UK as an EEA citizen or the family member of an EEA citizen before 31st December 2020. If you did not meet those requirements before 31st December 2020, you are not eligible for the EUSS.

So, even if you acquire Spanish nationality, you will continue on the same UK immigration pathway as you are now.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

itsellyk
Newly Registered
Ukraine

Re: Name change dilemma

Post by itsellyk » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:41 am

Oh, that's a very good point! Thanks for the clarification!
So I'm assuming we'd just have to apply for the renewal of the family visa for another 2.5 years with the new passport and proof of identity, which hopefully won't create an issue with HO.