ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NHS overseas charges for antenatal care for wife (GTV dependent) who arrived in the UK earlier this year

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

anonvtic
Mood:
Pakistan

NHS overseas charges for antenatal care for wife (GTV dependent) who arrived in the UK earlier this year

Post by anonvtic » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:57 pm

I currently have a GTV visa, valid until 07 Aug 2023. Earlier this year, my wife made a successful application for GTV dependent visa & arrived in the UK in May 2021. As part of her visa application, she has paid the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) & her BRP is valid until 07 Aug 2023 (same as mine).

During her antenatal care booking appointment with the midwife today (which she visited alone), they asked if she has been residing outside the UK for the last 12 months. She answered 'yes', at which point the midwife said that she will be treated as an NHS overseas paying patient, chargeable at 1.5x the antenatal care fees, and quoted that my wife will have to pay approximately GBP 9k in advance as per their estimate! The midwife also said that the NHS trust will issue her a receipt of payment, and a final invoice after the antenatal care & birth has been completed.

My wife was completely stumped. She mentioned her visa status and the fact that she paid the IHS fees, but the midwife didn't quite understand immigration matters. They completed the rest of the booking appointment, but strongly advised to my wife to resolve the issue with the NHS trust, before my wife can attend the next appointment.

I'd like to seek advice regarding the correct legal standing in this matter. What are our options now? Obviously, GBP 9k is a big amount, and I will have to borrow that from extended family, and this debt will surely add tremendous stress at home, especially during this important pregnancy stage.

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: NHS overseas charges for antenatal care for wife (GTV dependent) who arrived in the UK earlier this year

Post by JB007 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:52 pm

Did she provide her valid BRP or her share code?

When you can start to use the NHS

You can start using the National Health Service (NHS) when both:

you’ve paid the healthcare surcharge (or are exempt from paying it)
your visa or immigration application is granted

You’ll still need to pay for certain types of services, such as prescriptions, dental treatment, eye tests and assisted conception.

When you access healthcare in the UK, you may need to:

provide your biometric residence permit, if you have one
prove your status online using a share code, if you have a digital immigration status

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application

JB007
- thin ice -

Re: NHS overseas charges for antenatal care for wife (GTV dependent) who arrived in the UK earlier this year

Post by JB007 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:09 pm

Even British citizens have to prove they can use the NHS too now because of all the NHS abuse: abuse from those with British citizenship too! Don't take it personally. Be grateful they are checking to stop the theft from their budget. :D Budgets that are paid for by your British taxes.

Your wife just needs to provide the evidence in the link above, that will show that she must not be billed while she resides in the UK and her visa remains valid.

anonvtic
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by anonvtic » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:27 pm

JB007 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:52 pm
That's great. This means that she needs to take her original BRP card to the maternity hospital, right (so that they can update her records suitably)?
Last edited by anonvtic on Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:31 pm

anonvtic wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:27 pm
JB007 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:52 pm
That's great. This means that she needs to take her original BRP card to the maternity hospital, right (so that they can update her records suitably).
Correct yes. They need to see the original physical evidence of her immigration status.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anonvtic
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by anonvtic » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:32 pm

Thank you! That relieves us of the stress.