ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Over 30 and looking to work

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

tjames
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Over 30 and looking to work

Post by tjames » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:45 am

Hi all, I am an Aussie currently researching my working opportunities for the UK. My partner lives in the UK and we have been doing long distance for the last 12 months, I want to be with her. The distance means we haven’t lived together. I’m turning 33 so I don’t qualify for the youth visa and I’m an Executive Assistant so I’m not exactly sought after or eligible for sponsorship. My partner is not on a great income so she can’t exactly sponsor me and support me. Im at a loss at what to do. I don’t have any UK ancestry so that option is out too.

Do we have any options other than getting married? We’ll probably get married in time but we don’t want to rush into anything.

Im starting to think that I don’t actually have a chance at making this a reality.

secret.simon

Re: Over 30 and looking to work

Post by secret.simon » Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:51 am

tjames wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:45 am
The distance means we haven’t lived together.
You don't qualify for the unmarried partner visa either then, which requires living in a "relationship akin to marriage" for atleast two years.
tjames wrote:
Do we have any options other than getting married?
tjames wrote:
My partner is not on a great income so she can’t exactly sponsor me and support me.
Even if you were married, your spouse would need to earn atleast £18,600 a year in order to sponsor you.

Is your partner a British citizen? If so, if you get married, she can move with you to another (non-UK) EEA member-state before Brexit without any salary requirements. Alternatively, have you looked into the possibility of your partner moving to Australia?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

tjames
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by tjames » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:28 pm

If we were married though I’d be able to get the spousal visa which means I would be able to work. She earns over £18,600 so it’s enough to qualify to sponsor me, but that’s not an income that 2 people can survive on.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:30 pm

tjames wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:28 pm
If we were married though I’d be able to get the spousal visa which means I would be able to work. She earns over £18,600 so it’s enough to qualify to sponsor me, but that’s not an income that 2 people can survive on.
You can work IF you got a spouse visa. She only needs to earn at least that amount for you to qualify for a spouse visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

tjames
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by tjames » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:35 pm

Do I have any chance of getting work without a spousal visa? There is no other visa that I’m illegible for is there?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:39 pm

tjames wrote:
Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:35 pm
Do I have any chance of getting work without a spousal visa? There is no other visa that I’m illegible for is there?
No and no. You don't qualify for a Tier 2 sponsored visa based on the job role you mention, are too old for Tier 5 YMS. The only other visas would be Tier 1 Investor (£2 mil investment required) or Tier 1 Entrepreneur (£200k investment required) to start your own business.

There is no longer a 'general' non employer sponsored visa. This route, TIer 1 General, was discontinued and withdrawn (likely to huge abuse).

Tier 4 student visa also requires sponsorship from a university and you would be restricted to 20 hours work per week.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.