ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Power of the UK passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, push, JAJ, ca.funke, Amber, zimba, vinny, Obie, EUsmileWEallsmile, batleykhan, meself2, geriatrix, John, ChetanOjha, archigabe, Administrator

basis

Power of the UK passport

Post by basis » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:01 pm

Does anyone have a list of -

a) to which countries one can travel with UK passport without visa on a short term visit (30 - 90 days)
b) in which countries a UK passport holder can work ?
c) And in which countries the UK passport holders can get visa on arrival at the port of entry ?

Any website links giving the info etc would be useful.

basis

Post by basis » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:45 pm

There is one link which at least attempts to give info on all Consulate or Embassies

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pag ... 8377476175

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pag ... 7029396086

John

Post by John » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:56 pm

Basis, British for a few hours, using your lettering :-
  1. Obviously you can go to all EEA countries, and Switzerland, but also many more. But not sure of the full list. But you can certainly go to Thailand and get 30 day permission to stay when you get there. And last summer we went on holiday to Croatia .. no visa needed there.
  2. Certainly all EEA countries and Switzerland. You have the legal right to live and work in any, or all, of them. When your British Passport arrives you will see that the front cover makes reference to you not just being a British Citizen but also an EU Citizen as well.
  3. There are countries like the USA that have a Visa Waiver programme in force. That does not exclude all British Passport holders from needing a visa, but it does cut out the need for most to get one.
This is not quite the full answer you might have hoped for but is hopefully some help to you.
John

basis

Post by basis » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:01 pm

Somewhere this information must be there. Anyone who knows comprehensive answer .....

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:05 pm

basis wrote:Somewhere this information must be there. Anyone who knows comprehensive answer .....
I'd be astonished if there is a website listing all of the countries that British citizens can visit without a visa - unless it has been constructed by someone who has moved on from bus-spotting as a hobby :)

I don't think most people's minds work that way - they don't think "I'm going on holiday; I wonder where I can go without needing a visa". What they think is "I'd like to go on holiday to XXXland; I wonder if I'll need a visa".

And when they do this, the answer is readily available, from the authorities of the country concerned, or a travel agent or airline, etc.

Many travel agents use a book (published by IATA) called the Travel Information Manual (TIM). It consolidates the information for most countries and is updated quarterly, I think. But it costs Euros 160.
:cry:
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

John

Post by John » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:10 pm

Basis, I agree with Paul, you now need to change your whole mindset on this one. You are now able to visit many countries without needing a visa to get there.

A good starting point ... and only a rough guide .... if a country has a tourist industry then you probably don't need a visa to enter, or it will be granted when you get there.

Basis, any particular countries you have in mind?
John

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:46 am

Basis,

in the webite below, you have to look at country by country, but the list is comprehensive.

http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pag ... 7029390590

Select the Country you want to travel to, press "go", and check under "entry requirements".

Rogerio

Joseph
Member of Standing

Post by Joseph » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:22 pm

I think British Airways has a great website showing visa requirements for British and other passports by country:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/pa ... m=plantrip

Joseph

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:36 am

There's something similar at:
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/be ... ountryInfo

Information from sites like this should always be verified before relying on it.

basis

Post by basis » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:49 am

Thanks Joseph and JAJ - Great information here.